Ps6fsu

Jul 12, 2021
Wilmington, DE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey guys. Pool is one year old and I'm starting to get a few stains popping up. I feel like every week I find a new one. Not sure what is going on. I dumped a whole bottle of Jack's Magenta in it 2 weeks ago but nothing happened. Most of the spots are a penny or smaller. One is prob a tad bigger than a quarter. I have read about methods of using chlorine puck or vitamin c tab but I'm afraid I am going to be left with a bleach/white spot. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220721_120927.jpg
    20220721_120927.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220721_120959.jpg
    20220721_120959.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220721_121031.jpg
    20220721_121031.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220721-121754.jpg
    Screenshot_20220721-121754.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 27
Do you have the mineral cell in your Nature2 Fusionsoft?

That stain looks like it responded the way a copper stain would to vitamin C.

Take your water to a pool store and have them test it for iron and copper. Ignore all other tests they do.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Vitamin C test almost seems to cause an adverse reaction, like to copper. I agree with Allen. Even though pool store testing is unpredictable, I'd be curious to know if they show any copper in the water. I see you noted the mineral cart is out now, but did you use them for a while when the pool was new? Any other potential copper-based products such as algaecides or "Blue" products in the past?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll atempt to answer all the questions in one reaponse. I took a water sample to Leslie's and the results were as follows:

FC: 3.15 ppm
PH: 7.9
TA: 31 ppm
CH: 286 ppm
CYA: 78 ppm
Copper: 0.2 ppm
Iron: 0.1 ppm
PHOS: 780 ppm
Salt: 2800 ppm

TA and CH are pretty far off from what I got with my test kit but the rest are close.

In regards to the mineral cartridge... it has never been in use. The PB left me the cartridge to be installed 30 days after startup but luckily I did my research here and actually threw it out (brand new) so they didn't install when the pool was opened this year. I have not put anything in this pool outside of muriatic acid weekly to keep the ph down and as mentioned, 32 oz of Jack's Magic Magenta stuff about 2 weeks ago in an attempt to get rid of these stains.

In response to the fertilizer theory... it is possible. I have a company apply fertilizer a few times a year. He uses a ride on spreader. However, the 2 locations where I am seeing this are far apart. The larger stain I tested on is within 10 ft of the lawn. The other spot with the 2 small specs is probably 30 to 35 feet away from the lawn. I didn't see any granules on the pool deck and I can tell you for sure he doesn't enter the pool area to blow it off (bc it's locked).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.