Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Moved from HERE

I have the same issues with my steps, it looks like osmosis, water gets behind the gel coat and lifts it, and it looks like a blister. When the blister cracks, you get the brown/black staining. (the cracks are very small and hard to see)

The good news is that it only appears to be cosmetic, the bad news is that I've been looking for a solution for years and I haven't found anything that I think is reasonably priced and has long lasting results. There are people who will come in and refinish the steps (best to be done when the liner is changed). The guy I had look at my steps charged $2500 and he told me that the steps would look bad again in another 2-3 years, that the steps would get the blisters in new areas.

The real solution is to replace the steps to the tune of about $10,000.

Last year, I had my liner replaced and at that time, the people who installed the liner advised me to do nothing as long as the steps are not leaking. I don't like it, but they could have tried to sell me some "magic" pool formula to fix the steps, so I kind of trust what they are telling me, since they are not trying to sell me anything.

So far my steps are at least 8 years with the blistering/staining and still not leaking water.

I don't want to discourage you from trying anything, and please post any results you may get. I will follow this thread, and I wish you luck.

20210608_101248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got around to trying vitamin C in a sock to remove my pool step stains, and it worked. The steps aren't perfect and there are still some staining, although much lighter. Here are some before and after pictures.

Before:
20210608_101248.jpg

After:
20210721_092429.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.