Staining above the water line looks like metal

May 11, 2017
Elk River, MN
I have brown staining above the water line. I tested it with vitamin c, which lightened it a bit, but did not remove it- I made a loose slurry of crushed ascorbic acid vitamin c, sponged it on a test area and lightly scrubbed for about 3 minutes. It did not respond to a household cleaner test patch and it does not feel as though there is any build up of any kind.

Thoughts?

Typically is a build up of body oils, lotions, sunscreen, overall gook. Most folks have had luck with Magic Eraser pads.

20180717_192801.jpg

I believe that it is probably a build up, but why isn't it sticky or gummy? Why does a household degreaser have no effect? I also tried magic eraser, which works, but also appears to scour a bit of the ink pattern off. The liner is about 12 years old. We bought the house 3 years ago and the stain has always been there, but i think it might be getting worse. Is there a better solution?

At that age of liner the vinyl above the water line is getting UV exposure that will change its characteristics. The vinyl below the liner is no doubt fading after a decade of chlorine exposure, especially the uncontrolled early years prior to your maintenance.

Magic Eraser can take the ink off the vinyl also. A light touch helps, but no doubt if the vinyl is nearing its end of life, it will become less resilient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.