Stain Removal Using Ascorbic Treatment - need Guidance

WalterE

Bronze Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Little Rock, AR
I'm all into the TFP method and am now ready to attack the stains on my vinyl liner. Could use some assistance.

1. I have sprinkled some vitamin C tablets in the shallow end and it appears to do a good job of removing the stain.
2. I have read the post by "mbar" -- "Asorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains" 2007 (Any updates in the last 10 years?)
3. "polyquat 60"?? - I assume that is an Algaecide to overcome the low chloride. Any brand names? I have a SamsClub Algaecide 40 -- will that work? What brands are recommended?
4. "Sequestering Agent" ?? - Again brand names or recommendations? Do I really need this? I looks like it it done after the Ascorbic Acid has done it's work. Can someone explain this.
5. Re-balancing the chemistry appears to be the difficult part. Getting TA, PH, and Chlorine back to normal looks somewhat intimidating..

Thanks in advance for your help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Current Chemistry.
FC - 3.0
CC - 0
PH 7.5
TA - 50
CH - 40
CYA - 30

I'm all into the TFP method and am now ready to attack the stains on my vinyl liner. Could use some assistance.

1. I have sprinkled some vitamin C tablets in the shallow end and it appears to do a good job of removing the stain.
2. I have read the post by "mbar" -- "Asorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains" 2007 (Any updates in the last 10 years?)
3. "polyquat 60"?? - I assume that is an Algaecide to overcome the low chloride. Any brand names? I have a SamsClub Algaecide 40 -- will that work? What brands are recommended?
4. "Sequestering Agent" ?? - Again brand names or recommendations? Do I really need this? I looks like it it done after the Ascorbic Acid has done it's work. Can someone explain this.
5. Re-balancing the chemistry appears to be the difficult part. Getting TA, PH, and Chlorine back to normal looks somewhat intimidating..

Thanks in advance for your help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Current Chemistry.
FC - 3.0
CC - 0
PH 7.5
TA - 50
CH - 40
CYA - 30

Yes you need to the polyquat. Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] look for 60, I've seen 600. Most pool stores have but you can probably fine cheaper online.

Sequesterant is metal treatment. the AA removes the metals from the pool surface, and it goes into suspension. The stains will return if you don't use it. It keeps the metals in suspension.

Edit: a few of the popular brands include Jack's Magic Blue, Purple, and Pink Stuff, Metal Magic, Metal Free, Metal Klear, GLB Sequa Sol.

Yes you need to the polyquat. Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] look for 60, I've seen 600. Most pool stores have but you can probably fine cheaper online.

Sequesterant is metal treatment. the AA removes the metals from the pool surface, and it goes into suspension. The stains will return if you don't use it. It keeps the metals in suspension.

Edit: a few of the popular brands include Jack's Magic Blue, Purple, and Pink Stuff, Metal Magic, Metal Free, Metal Klear, GLB Sequa Sol.

--------------------------------------------
Thanks frustratedpoolmom:(great handle)
With the detail you have provided, I now have all the supplies and am ready to start the process as soon as I get my chlorine to zero. Wish me luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.