Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hoping to get some help on identifying and removing these stains in my plaster. Nothing comes off when I brush them, and a SLAM did not lighten them.IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_2999.jpeg

Background info, if it’s useful. Pool was put in last year. Everything was great that season. Had some serious landscaping and fence work done though that resulted in my main drain line being damaged and the pool losing all its water. Landscaper ended up paying the original pool installer to fix everything, but it ended up being pretty late in the year, so we didn’t swim in it at all after the line was repaired and the pool was refilled. I told the pool company I wanted the pool closed (first year closing was included in the cost of the pool install). A ton of dirt, leaves, etc. got in before they closed it. Kept up with it (water chemistry and cleaning) as best as I could, but skimming leaves when it’s 40 F out really sucks. The lines were blown out and capped and the pump was turned off for a few weeks (yes I know) before the cover was put on. I still tried to keep up on skimming as best as I could.

This year, I paid the pool company to open the pool. It was filthy when the cover was removed. A ton of debris was still in the water. They left me with a new bag of DE, popped a few trichlor pucks in the skimmer, and said they’d be back in a few days to add salt in and turn on the SWG. That never happened. I got down to 0 FC at one point, so I decided to do a SLAM just to be on the safe side. I also added salt, calcium chloride, and CYA since the pool had basically none.

tl;dr on this background section is my pool sat dirty and covered for quite some time.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Are you on a well? Try the following DIY tests:
1 - Vitamin C tablets - iron
2 - Rub a chlorine tablet on the stain, but don't leave it on one spot - organic
3 - Put some dry acid (i.e. pH Down) in a sock and rub the area - copper.

Also post a full set of water test results and tell us what chemicals may have been added to the water since it was filled if you know them.

Reactions: Bperry
My PoolMath logs are in my profile. Here’s the most recent test results1716590375331.png

As for stuff added to the pool by the pool company (and therefore not logged in PoolMath), all I’ve seen is trichlor and dichlor

Ordered some pH down. Had Vit C and trichlor on hand

BeforeIMG_3002.jpegIMG_3006.jpegIMG_3004.jpegIMG_3005.jpeg

After

IMG_3011.jpegIMG_3009.jpegIMG_3012.jpegIMG_3010.jpeg

The only one with a notable result I can see after 5 min or so was the Vit C tablets making dark purple/black spots on the tanning shelf. This is odd to me, because I know that J shaped stain was caused by a steel landscaping stake that was in the pool while it was closed

I see what looks like staples in the plaster. Those of course would be iron themselves. But if the Vitamin C made the stains darker, I suspect copper. The pH Down "should" be a good indicator.
I still have that staple (I want to show the guy from the pool company whenever he finally makes it out here since they “opened” the pool 18 days ago and I still haven’t swam in it). Definitely iron. The thing is virtually nothing but rust right now. Any idea why my Vit C tabs didn’t lighten the stains at all?

Doesn't sound like the most stellar operations unfortunately.
I unfortunately have to agree. What’s upsetting is that this means I have to either find another pool company or figure out how to do everything myself. After spending a pretty steep sum with a company, you’d really expect better support

Reactions: Texas Splash
Update: pH down didn’t produce any notable lightening either. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here, but I feel like something should have lightened these

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve had the stain ID kit for a few days, but my FC is still well above the 1-3 they recommend on the stain ID kit. Anyone know if it’s still useful to try this test with FC around 9 and the rest of the parameters within the recommendations on the box?

Ended up doing the stain test kit. None of the tests had any notable response. At this point, my game plan is to contact the owner of the pool company, explain everything that happened, and ask him to at least come out and take a look for himself. They should be fixing this for me for free