Stable pH, High(ish) TA, acceptable CSI

Jul 27, 2018
Haysville, KS
So, hopefully two simple questions. Over the course of the last year, I've whittled away on my TA level and have now got it down to 100. As this went on my pH obviously became more and more stable to the point where it's rising imperceptibly slow at this point. I've not had to make any adjustment in pH for nearly 3 weeks and have only made a total of 3 adjustments (mainly in my endeavor to lower TA to recommended levels) since opening two months ago. Pool school says there's only two reasons to lower TA - slow pH rise and keep CSI in check. My pH isn't rising and my CSI is within acceptable limits. Is there any reason to continue to drive down the TA at this point to Poolmath recommended level of 60-80? Seems like my pool is quite happy with a TA of 100.

Second, my current CYA is 50. Again, this is outside the recommended range of 70-80 for my salt pool. However, the SWCG is doing a fine job of maintaining FC levels, although the cooler weather has limited a lot of swimming and kept the cover closed more, so limited loss to UV. Pool School says low CYA can create high acid demand (it's not - see above), algae (no overnight loss and 0 CC), cloudy water (it's crystal clear, see pics) or early cell failure (not sure I understand how, other than elevated use??). What risk am I taking leaving CYA lower than the recommended 70?

Pics for clarity testament:

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like you have a solid understanding of pool chemistry, you just don't believe it. Strange as it seems, you don't need chemicals every time you test water. Thats a holdover from poolstore days.

Since you keep the pool covered, 50 CYA is fine. If you start using the pool more and the SWG can't keep up, raise the CYA. But you knew that.

Reactions: santacruzpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.