Stabilizer question

shaneymack

May 5, 2019
St. Lazare, Qc, Canada
My pool project was completed yesterday. The last guys that the pool store sent were the cleaning crew/start up crew. The vacuumed pool and put the salt in. They also threw a bunch of shock in. They told me not to start the salt water generator for 48 hrs. They have me 2 buckets of what I think is CYA in the shape of a cylinder. They told me to put 2 at a time in the skimmer until I've used 10. I read on here all the time that cya should be put in a sock and put in front of a return. So is this guy incorrect or is this a different product ?20190711_171647.jpg

Is there an ingredient on the other side of that bucket?

I think that is likely sticks of Trichlor which should certainly not be put in the skimmer and will add the CYA much too slowly.

You should only need to wait about 24 hours for the salt to mix before turning on the SWG, but if you do not have CYA in the water, it is not going to keep up with the losses to the sun and would need to be supplemented with liquid chlorine (ideally).

that sure "sounds" like CYA-----which you get get from Walmart in 4lb. jugs for around 14 bucks. It's gonna take a long time for that product to get you up to speed on CYA levels for your SWG which we recommend at 70-80.

Is there an ingredient on the other side of that bucket?

I think that is likely sticks of Trichlor which should certainly not be put in the skimmer and will add the CYA much too slowly.

You should only need to wait about 24 hours for the salt to mix before turning on the SWG, but if you do not have CYA in the water, it is not going to keep up with the losses to the sun and would need to be supplemented with liquid chlorine (ideally).
I did not see an ingredient list.
He said normally year to year they recommend starting the SWG 24hrs after salt but since it's a new startup and it was a Crud load of salt he said wait 48hrs.
I added 2.5 litres of purox this evening. I had the pool store test the water and everything was good except zero chlorine . I will start swg tomorrow for sure.

that sure "sounds" like CYA-----which you get get from Walmart in 4lb. jugs for around 14 bucks. It's gonna take a long time for that product to get you up to speed on CYA levels for your SWG which we recommend at 70-80.
So far in 24 hours I've gotten through sox sticks. They said I need ten so hopefully in 24 more hours I will have dissolved ten of them. I will bring a water sample in on Monday to see where the cya is at and report back.

Well this is a bit concerning:
"I had the pool store test the water and everything was good except zero chlorine"

Why are you letting the pool store testing your water? :) You need to invest in your own test kit

I saw the mention of chlorine in the picture and immediately thought they might be adding chlorine, although I suppose that translates to something like using less chlorine when it is protected.

I did not see an ingredient list.
He said normally year to year they recommend starting the SWG 24hrs after salt but since it's a new startup and it was a Crud load of salt he said wait 48hrs.
I added 2.5 litres of purox this evening. I had the pool store test the water and everything was good except zero chlorine . I will start swg tomorrow for sure.

24 hours should suffice. We just had our liner changed and obviously a fresh fill of water with that. Our pool guy said to give the salt 24 hrs and then start up the salt water chlorine generator.

Well this is a bit concerning:
"I had the pool store test the water and everything was good except zero chlorine"

Why are you letting the pool store testing your water? :) You need to invest in your own test kit

I saw the mention of chlorine in the picture and immediately thought they might be adding chlorine, although I suppose that translates to something like using less chlorine when it is protected.

I do not have a test kit yet. Cant get the Tf100 in Canada and the only place i can find to get the Taylor 2006 is on Amazon and its weeks for delivery! I was supposed to get the 2006 test kit included in my pool purchase and a few days before they were done he told me he forgot to order it. He told me to order it myself and he gave me 300$ off the bill to compensate. Problem is in the interim, That is why pool store is checking my water. There isnt too much to screw up, they are using a taylor 2006 kit with a speedstir right in front of me so im not too concerned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.