Sta-Rite Max E pro plastic casing cracked

emac

May 24, 2017
abbeville, SC
Crack is on the basket side. Picture is with the clamp removed. Seems like an odd failure spot, but I saw another thread on here with a similar problem and read several comments online from people replacing theirs. Pump is only about 3 years old. Maybe they had a bad run of housings. Pump runs year round and has an auto turn on for freezing temps. I tried to call Pentair, but sat on hold forever, and they never called back. Just ordered a new one. ouch.

20200515_144135.jpg

We just had the exact same failure on ours, since we inherited it with the house we didn't bother contacting Pentair and just ordered a replacement part, at least it wasn't too costly (~$160 shipped). Hopefully it's not too much of a bear to do the repair!

Interesting about freezing being the damage, though, as we blow out all our lines when we close. Perhaps we need to make sure this housing is 100% empty as well?

I think $160 is pretty pricey for a pump that is 3 years old. There are two drains on the unit. I personally have never drained mine as it runs year round. I dont think it is a freezing problem, just cheap materials. Pretty easy to swap, just make sure the gasket is seated properly and the pump sits flat on the floor with no tension on it.

Reactions: cixelsyd
Completely agree yours failed too early. Supposedly it's made of super-strong glass-reinforced composite (I'll just bet).

We have only owned the house for almost 4 years, no idea how long this equipment has been here before then. I would have a problem paying $160 every 3 years for pump parts, too!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.