Sta-Rite Heater SR400NA won't fire. "Ignition Lockout" error code.

spud

Jul 20, 2016
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey Folks - I have the following error code on the Fenwal, 3 flashes, "Ignition Lockout" ----> exact same as this older post. I don't see any frayed wires from critters like some of the other posts have had. I was using the heater a week ago and it worked fine and now the blower kicks on but the flame won't ignite. I've tried turning on/off many times.

The trouble shooting guide says to either replace the HSI Igniter (not sure what part that is), or the Ignition Control Module with these symptoms/conditions. Or from the above posts , could be gas pressure or the solenoid for the regulator side of the gas valve failing (or another part of gas valve I assume). Not sure how to trouble shoot these options?

Heater has worked with limited issues for 13 years. Occasionally when service light comes on, power off/on takes care of it.

Any suggestions? Do I need to call in the tech? Call the gas folks first? What order of troubleshooting?

Thank you for that. Its quite a read. Also, I was able to get a Sta-Rite tech support person on the phone. His #1 thought was the igniter. So he guided me how to use my volt meter to test the igniter side for ohlms and the power side for volts. There was a detected issue for the ohlms (below 25 threshold) so he recommended a new igniter which I just ordered. We'll see when I get it installed if it solves the issue. I'll report back. Thank you.

Just to update this thread. I received the new igniter and it was easy to install. Boom, it fired up the heater right away and solved the issue.

I got lucky as this seemed just too easy. I'll take it. Normally I end up trouble shooting several possible root causes to discover an unfamiliar problem, but this was one of those rare times you get a fix in the win column without a hitch. Thank you all for your input, and support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.