St George, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all, I just joined a few days ago, and find in this forum a wealth of information and expertise! My wife and I are just starting on the pool construction journey; our first steps are learning as much as we can, trying to define what we want, and doing some sketches.

We have a 1.7 acre parcel, so, plenty of room to add a pool. There is an HOA to contend with, so although we have flexibility, there are some constraints as well.

We currently have a portable spa, which we love, and use almost daily, year round. So one of the first questions is whether we plan a design with the spa integrated, or separate. It appears that most projects these days have the combo spa, and indeed, they are attractive, and easier to manage.

But we have gotten accustomed to saying "Honey, how about a hot tub?" and 3 minutes later, we are in hot, bubbly comfort. Heating the spa for 30 minutes or more (a lot more in the winter when the pool is not heated) would definitely be a change. And the contoured seats and strong jets sure are nice. I've never found a built in spa that I have found comfortable, they've had straight backs and seats, and i've found I've had to tense up in order to not get pushed from behind off the seat by the jet. But then again, a built-in, whether integrated or separate, is much more attractive than the big box sitting on the patio, with stairs to get into it. Perhaps something creative can be done to integrate it into the landscape, with wrap around terrace or something. But at this point, absent any quotes, we are leaning toward separate pool and built-in spa. Questions abound about what's the best way to heat both bodies of water efficiently. Gas? Heat pump? Both?

As for the pool itself, we're leaning toward a rectangle, 30x12, ranging from 3.5 to 5.5 feet deep. As we live in the desert (think Las Vegas climate) an automated cover to keep the water in during the day. and I suspect we won't even need heat in the summer. Blowing sand can be a problem in the spring, so the cover will help, and I am thinking about an automated in-floor cleaning system as well. Sanitation will most likely be via a SWCG.

So that's where the project stands at the moment. My thanks to all those sharing their experiences and expertise on the forum.

Hey Stevo and Welcome!! Quick question if you already have the stand alone spa..... why not both ? The built in spa shines for anesthetics and entertaining. Get a few friends in there with some beverages while the kids swim and everybody will be laughing so hard they won't realize it isn't that comfortable. Yet later on, you 2 can go get the full spa experience in the tub on the deck.

I've read here that heat pumps need humidity and don't function well without it. Gas is probably going to be your best bet.

Keep us posted and start up a build thread in the under construction section of the forum. Read that forum description carefully. ESPECIALLY the last 3 words. Super important !!!

As New dude said but will add, don't get the IFCS (in floor cleaning system). They are just not worth it .... get a pool robot that cleans independent of the pool filter system and will keep the pool even nicer. As far as equipment goes get back to us with your list and it'll get tweeked some for your best interest. Good luck

Last edited:
I've read here that heat pumps need humidity and don't function well without it. Gas is probably going to be your best bet.
good info, thanks
don't get the IFCS (in floor cleaning system). They are just not worth it .... get a pool robot that cleans independent of the pool filter system and will keep the pool even nicer. As far as equipment goes get back to us with your list and it'll get tweeked some for your best interest. Good luck
Appreciate the feedback re: IFCS. They look and sound slick but i have no idea their effectiveness. The new neighbors next door put one in their newly constructed pool. I'll be checking with them on how it is working for them.

As far as equipment list, i am close to soliciting proposals from a couple of PBs. I'll see what they come up with and post it up - thanks.

IFCS. They look and sound slick but i have no idea their effectiveness. The new neighbors next door put one in their newly constructed pool. I'll be checking with them on how it is working for them.
Well for one, they cost $3500-$7000 and a $700 robot will whoop them everytime. Also, with IFCS you will still have to regularly brush the pool but not with the right robot.

Then there are the holes that you punched through the shell, and all those moving parts. I know my lawn sprinkler heads go bad all the time. It would suck that much more if they were 5 to 8ft underwater. :ROFLMAO: but then again I wouldn't whack them with the lawnmower down there so maybe they'd last longer 🤷‍♂️

I've seen many a post here stating that they just didn't live up to the expectations. There are folks who love theirs, but they are the few to the many. @Turbo1Ton just posted he loves his in a different thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevo777
That's kind of small. Any reason for those dimensions? I would suggest a minimum of 16 x 32, or bigger.
I was thinking it was a good size for us. Empty nesters here, thinking it's big enough for the grandkids to splash in, but we won't be hosting the high school band spring party :) . Then again, my wife just mentioned a sun deck might be nice, so that might drive it bigger too....

Reactions: JamesW
I did say I love mine. And I do. Would I spend that coin again???? Well... Maybe. The reason I went with the IFCS is that it wasn't something I could add later on, and I would never know what it was like to have it, if I didn't do it. I didn't even know they existed before I started looking to build a pool and stumbled on Paramount's website. And all my friends with pools didn't either, as they were shocked when I told them what I was putting in. I also had the expectation that it would cut the vacuuming/cleaning by 60%-70%. Not that it would keep the pool 100% spotless. And if I didn't like how it operated, I can always throw a robot in after the fact.

I just bought a robot cleaner, but I bought the robot for the brushing aspect, not necessarily because my IFCS doesn't work well. Last year I had to manually vacuum twice to clear a couple of spots of heavier debris that wouldn't move to the main drain with the IFCS to be picked up. Twice. In the entire year. I haven't vacuumed since August-ish, and I have 4-5 of the heavy debris spots in the pool currently. So I really should break out the vacuum again.

This year I am going to run the robot once a week, to brush the pool. I will get the added benefit that it will pick up those heavy debris spots that the IFCS doesn't quite get. My plan is to throw it in the pool Saturday mornings, early, while everyone else is asleep and I'm enjoying my coffee on the patio.

I suppose next year I can turn off the IFCS and see how often I need to use the robot cleaner and if I like it more or less than the IFCS. But I'd still have to throw the robot in to get the pool clean, since I don't enjoy the look of having the robot sitting in the pool all the time. With the IFCS I don't have to lift a finger, and my pool is 90%-95% clean (heavy debris spots as mentioned above).

Yes, the IFCS uses more electricity than the robot cleaners. And if I were in a high cost electric area, that may very well contribute to my decision on whether or not to put in the IFCS. I would most definitely go with the robot, if energy efficiency were my main objective. No way would the IFCS ever be able to compete there.

I just saw your post saying you were empty nesters. That being the case, you should have the time to toss the 'bot in a few times a week. I don't know that I would spend the extra coin on the IFCS. I have two kids that are on the cusp of being teenagers. I don't have time for much other than running them around at the moment. That is the main reason I am very happy I have the IFCS. It does the work while I am not thinking about it. Granted the robot could also, but I'd have to leave it in the pool and again, I just don't like the look of that being in the pool all the time.

To each their own, YMMV, all of that stuff.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support