Sssssccccccchhstains on my liner.

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
So gents, here is your next pool puzzler.

You may recall that I just added Pro-Team Metal super stuff to deglaze the nasty tea-colored stains on my nice pearly white steps. You sleuths deduced that my water had iron in it and you were correct. The pool is now gorgeous. Some very faint phantom stains remain, but its about 98 percent better. I may try and add a bit more.

Interestingly enough (or not depending on your level of boredom as you read this), I think that the cause of the stain wasn't necessarily my well water, rather it was from a recent "project" that I carried out poolside. Namely, I purchased a heavy duty restaurant supply style food prep table and turned it into a grilling station. 18 GA Stainless, about 6'X3' with a rolled front edge, and a 6" lip across the back. The table came with a huge stainless drawer and shelf. I got it off Craigslist and $aved a TON of money over what one costs online.

On the right side of the table I mounted my 3 burner gas grill. On the left I CUT a large semi-circle opening to hold my 22" Weber charcoal grill. In between the two there is about 2 feet of empty space which is perfect for setting stuff (food, beers, cocktails, utensils etc) while grilling. I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Cutting the arc took a LOT longer than I had anticipated due to 18G steel, but it worked. Here's what I think happened, a LOT of the teeeeny metal bits managed to wend their way into the pool! I think that was the source of my discoloration. I have had this pool 5 years now and the steps never got nasty. When I add water it comes from the same well. Now when I look closely at the steps, I can see tiny dots which I think were caused by the teeny metal bits. Harrumpf you say! I used a slightly saltier rejoinder when I figured this out.

OK. Next problem. I have numerous small stains on the bottom of my liner which I believe were caused by a NAIL which ended up in the pool when I had my new roof installed. I didn't put two and two together when I found the nail because it wasn't near a rust stain. I suspect that the monster might have picked it up and moved it around a bit. When I look carefully at the stains, they are all "nail shaped", or nearly so. Elongate, approx the same length and a very faint 'T' at one end.

SO!! Bikini gal is not here and I am out of limes. Can one spot clean these little boogers? And if so, with what miracle product?

Put a bunch of Vitamin C tablets in a sock. Mush them a bit. Hold them on the stain. It should make it disappear.

Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.