Boca Raton, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Did a few searches in the search bar before posting. Haven't had to post much since most can be found in previous threads...

I have a 1.5hp single speed pump and a Intermatic mechanical timer. I just got the timer working again and bought some new trippers for it, so I'm looking for advice on how long and at what times to run the pump.
I have two ON trippers and two OFF trippers (not including the OFF tripper that doesn't work for my model), so I can have it run twice a day.

How long should I run my SS pump for?
Should I run it during the day when the pool is hottest?
Would running it twice a day for 4 hours each be more beneficial than once for 8 hours?

Edit: I realize some of this info was in the Pool School article on pump run time, but I'm just looking for anecdotal info.

Last edited:
First, you must run the pump long enough to generate the chlorine you need each day from your SWCG. Next, will be how long you need your Heat Pump to run. Next is how long you need the pump to run to skim the surface of the pool. It is very likely that one of those reasons will dominate in run time and that will be long enough each day. What time of day you run the pump is dependent on the Heat Pump and/or skimming.

Since you have a SS pump, if your electricity is cheaper at night then run at night. If it doesn't matter then run the pump as you see fit. I run mine during the day - continuously for about 8 hrs. It is off for 16 hrs. I run it less in the winter. I use LC so I chlorinate in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon if especially hot days. You really only need to run long enough to chlorinate your pool and to clean up debris.
Some people have advocated 1 hr of run time for every 10 degrees of temperature i.e. 80 degrees means 8 hours. There is no science to this.

Pumps are meant to be run continuously... so don't worry about that. Running a pump on-then off-then on- then off is harder on the pump actually.

I run my pump now from 0800-1500 to keep the water skimmed, more than a need for chlorine production. I'm surrounded by trees and their debris, and even with an autocover I like my pool open on sunny days to admire the water.

If you want to save electricity run it for x hours a day (say 8?) then drop an hour to see if the pool remains clean, clear and free of debris, If so try dropping another hour.... when the pool loses its sparkle you'll know you need to add back that last hour.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you everyone! I will be checking with FPL to see if electricity rates are higher during the day than at night.
Right now I have it set to run from 0800 to 1600 but I'm going to dial it back a bit each week to see if I can find what the minimum pump run time is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.