SR Smith Typhoon Slide Install Recommendation

shocka

Gold Supporter
Mar 12, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Wanted to get thoughts on the best way to anchor the subject slide to my pool deck.
Here are the details:
1. The deck is not yet installed. I will be installing 24"x24"x2CM MSI Arterra porcelain pool pavers on compacted 1/4" minus material. Installer will likely use sand (1/2" or so) for leveling on top of the 1/4" minus.
2. My initial plan was to pour a 4" concrete slab where the slide anchors would need to be anchored in. I was thinking of keeping the top of slab at an elevation that would allow for about 1/2" of sand over the slab and then allow the 24x24 paver to be installed on the sand bed. I would then drill through the paver and anchor to the slab below. My concern is that if the sand or paver shifts, then the anchors may not remain tight and you would have rocking on the paver or slide pedestal.
3. An alternate plan would be to have the slab poured to an elevation that minimizes the sand between the paver and the slab, but that option scares me that the paver would be more susceptible to cracking since there is less sand cushion.

Appreciate any insight on this if anyone has faced a similar installation. Thanks.

I think you would want to have the slab (or footers) to a level where you can use a thinset to anchor the pavers directly to the slab/footer and then drill through the pavers into the slab/footer. Then there is no risk of any settling.

Yup you pour a slab below the pavers with a half inch max of space so you can mud them to the slab. I would make sure you have good base material under the rest 1/4 minus is stone dust it holds water you want road base or 5A type material then coarse sand like concrete sand for bedding sand max 1" less is better

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.