Squeal from Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed, help!

May 24, 2011
Austin, TX
6 years ago I had a Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump (SP3400VSP) put in. Its starting to rattle and squeal and I suspect the bearings are going. From what I understand it is difficult to repair a variable speed motor and you are better off replacing the motor… and if reviews are any indication the driver won’t be far behind in which case maybe I am better off with a new pump and keep this one for spare parts?

Does anyone have a recommendation? The pump is a 2.7HP controlled with Goldline. While I don’t need the extra power day to day, I use the higher speeds for running the polaris and occasional spa. Given that I have a Goldline are there any options I should consider besides Hayward?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Rich D
Typically you need to stay with the manufacturer of your automation for your pump. Check your manual for the automation.

I do believe some of the past issues that Hayward VS pumps had are behind them with the new ones.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.