Square footage of tile needed for negative edge spa

I really can't see how you get in and out with stepping in the catch basin and then stepping all the way over the top to the seat or sitting on the top and spinning over the sloped tile or stepping on the sloped top.

Also, why doesn't the bench go all the way around? not sure what the value added for not having a seat there is.

These types of spas always look best when tiled all the way around the outside as well as a minimum single band on the inside. Theres no way to make it look finished nicely by just having tile end at the angles inside edge. Be aware the tile guy has to have OCD and a long level prob a 10footer for this one. It's very common to have the water not overflow evenly around the top this is a super finesse install job. And yes it's a pain getting in and out of them they look cool but are awful in practicality. The basin needs coping cap all the way around as well and some do tile waterline in the basin as plaster would be dry above pool waterline

So with an estimate of the slope on top from the photos, and now having a pretty good idea of where the waterline is in relation to it, the minimum tile you'd need is approximately 65 square feet (assuming 10% waste). Tiling the outside wall to the bottom of the basin would add about another 16 square feet for a total of 81 square feet. Adding 3" of waterline tile on the interior would add about 6 square feet, for a total of 87 square feet, or adding 6" would be an additional 12 square feet for a total of 93 square feet. I think the tile on the interior is totally optional, and it might even feel odd to lean back against two different materials when sitting in the spa.
Hi MinerJason, just wanted to clarify...your calculations included the 10% waste? I appreciate your help!

I really can't see how you get in and out with stepping in the catch basin and then stepping all the way over the top to the seat or sitting on the top and spinning over the sloped tile or stepping on the sloped top.

Also, why doesn't the bench go all the way around? not sure what the value added for not having a seat there is.
Hi Jblizzle, getting in and out of the spa was one of my concerns during the design phase, but the designer assured me it would be ok. However, I don’t think he even expected the slope to be as steep as it is (there seems to be a disconnect with our designer and the builder). The bench doesn’t go all the way around in order to allow someone to stand out of the way if they wanted.

I think it is too late to redesign it, no?

These types of spas always look best when tiled all the way around the outside as well as a minimum single band on the inside. Theres no way to make it look finished nicely by just having tile end at the angles inside edge. Be aware the tile guy has to have OCD and a long level prob a 10footer for this one. It's very common to have the water not overflow evenly around the top this is a super finesse install job. And yes it's a pain getting in and out of them they look cool but are awful in practicality. The basin needs coping cap all the way around as well and some do tile waterline in the basin as plaster would be dry above pool waterline
This has been one of my concerns, so I’m planning to discuss with my builder about how much confidence he has with his tile installer for doing this type of job. Should have done it sooner, I know! I was thinking they would install the pool waterline tile in the basin.

In my opinion, designers tend to worry more about aesthetics than utility or maintenance.

They are not going to be using or maintaining the pool or spa.

They want a dramatic look that they can submit to the various publications to try to get some press and maybe some cache.

Maybe discuss the issue with the builder and designer to see if there's anything that can be done to make it easier to access.

Are they planning to use any handrails?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.