Sprinkler Valves

skooterj

Jun 14, 2020
Indiana
My pool has two deck jets that shoot water returning from the pump and filter out into the pool. They are plumbed using one 1 1/2 inch pvc quarter turn valve to turn them both on or off, and then after this valve, the line splits and each is controlled separately by their own 3/4 inch pvc quarter turn valve. These are the cheap white valves with red handles used in plumbing and found at any big box home improvement store.
I want to automate these. I found some Orbit 3/4 inch sprinkler valves that I can run off a Sonoff relay really cheap. Anyone know if I can use these valves aboveground? And if they can handle the pressure? I have three regular returns that always stay open, so the individual pressure shouldn't be all that great. Any issues with using cheap sprinkler valves instead of expensive pool valves? I also found cheap brass powered valves on Amazon, but the sprinkler valves are even cheaper.

Thanks

I believe those valves are rated up to 120psi so your system pressure should be fine on the high end. I do not know how low of a pressure they will work at so, depending on your system pressure when the jets are running, it may be fine too.

Just note that those valves operate by differential water pressure across an internal rubber bladder that has a very small orifice in for pressure equalization. Those valves typically fail when that orifice gets clogged or damaged. The failure mode is typically seen as a constant dribbling irrigation emitter or sprinkler head. So if it does fail in that manner, your deck jet will “weep” or “dribble”. Any hardware store sells rebuild kits for them so their pretty easy to fix as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.