Spray on duct tape and liner?

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
So my liner is on it's last legs. It is starting to tear in places above the waterline. I have used clear patches on one tear but over time it just comes off. Also there is one kid that i know that just loves to pull on the patches i have in the pool. I just can't catch him. I was wondering if anyone has used the spray on duct tape I have seen in an auto parts store recently. It says it works on PVC, vinyl and a ton of other things. As far as looks at this point I don't care if I can get this season out of the liner.

Haven't seen it either. Have you tried the Boxer Glue with or without the patches that come with that?

I finally got the stuff to try. Here is the problem. Dry rot, not just a tear as i thought. I didn't look close enough the other day. The liner
is 11 years old. Shouldn't it last longer than that before dry rot sets in? Would my high PH over the winter cause this? Acid splash?
What other that UV?......
IMG_3994.jpg

My first test spray curled up on me.
IMG_3995.jpg

I took another piece and stapled it to a piece of wood.
IMG_3997.jpg

This is 4 passes at once. I have placed it on edge to see if it runs while it dries.
IMG_3999.jpg

I am going to have to do something to cover the big hole for sure as the spray will not fill it.

Remember this is only to get through the season and then it is replacement time.

Is there something else I should to instead of the spray? Any ideas? I don't think a glue and patch kit will do the job since the affected area
is so large. Not sure the spray duct tape will either.

Hey, sefrlw,

How ya' doin? I am of no assistance with your issue other than to offer you some old pool liner if it helps. I had a defective liner that was replaced and I still have some large pieces around that you are welcome to. It'd be a complete mismatch and you may be thrown out of the neighborhood once the architectural committee sees it.

Continued low pH is probably more likely to damage your liner than high but I am just not sure.

Lastly......

The thought of having beer money in my pocket, my pickup paid for, and a couple of cans of spray on duct tape behind the seat.......... just seems like life couldn't get much better than that!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Dave! Don't you think they will throw me out for a duct tape fix also? :) I'm not worried about a match if I am willing to spray duct tape on it. Anyway. I have liner available to patch which will match. I am out of town tonight. I will checkout my test tomorrow and probably flip a coin on which way to go. If the duct tape comes off real easy it will be a patch. I just hope I can get a patch to stick well.

By the way, test kit has been GREAT!!!! I will need to swing by for some refills soon.

Not sure on those. I ended up going with both the boxer glue and the duct tape. The big hole I patched with a clear boxer patch and the rest of it I sprayed with the duct tape. Initial indications are it works fairly well. I had one little hole that took a fair amout of spray to cover. On one side I go a bit overzelous with the appplication and it ran. The other side looks pretty good. After about 45 minutes I splashed it with water and the water beaded up and rolled right off. It is pretty ugly but for my purpose it good enough.

IMG_4030.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So....It is time to bring this back to the top. This "repair" lasted all winter. Over the winter all the spray on tape stayed and none of the holes reappeared. The clear patch in the middle however failed to survive. The patch peeled from the bottom of the hole you can see in these pics all the way to the top. So yesterday while swimming I decided to take this redneck repair one step further. After cutting the top of the patch off I have now gone totally redneck. :-D I actually used a piece of duct tape to cover the hole that was previously covered by the clear patch. The liner is just not in good enough shape to attempt another patch in this area. I then sprayed the duct tape with the spray on duct tape to seal the edges. Again aside from the ugly gray color I have what I think is yet another season of use with this liner.

Not bad at all, sef.

We rednecks have to stay in touch so when we collaborate and write a book (with lots o' pichers) on redneck fix-its we can all "hep" each other with the spellin'.

I'm proud to call you "neighbor" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're going to squeeze as much life out of that poor liner as you can.. I have to admit I'm frugal and I get it honest but that's pushing it for me. I like my oasis to look like an oasis. If it's just a swimming hole .. then go for it :goodjob:

Well it was finally time to make a change. Pool is pumping out as I type. New liner in a few days. 2 seasons of a scarred oasis is all I can do. Too much dry rot to deal with at this point. I for one will say my ugly patch got me 2 full years of enjoyment more than any of my pool builders other customers. There is something to be said for the minor scar.....

Also if you are ever in my situation you know this will get you by for a fairly good amount of time.

IMG_0689.jpg

Hi, Sef,

I can see you haven't been over to ALANDA for chlorine!! Your pool looks good even drained and with the old liner. It's gonna be spectacular. I'd come give you a hand but had a little surgery and cant lift for about a week......well, I can lift 12 oz cans but thats about it. :shock: I have suggested your liquid duct tape to two friends who have used it with success. See ya'

I cannot wait to see the new pics.

Ha! You got me. I also have not been over for a refill for my test kit. I knew I was replacing it at the end of last season so I decided to just shut it down over the winter. Also made a conscious decision to not do anything until it was replaced. Every little $ counts these days. It just got much warmer much faster than normal this spring. Believe it or not I could still see the bottom in the first pic. Just not too clear. Get well and see you soon/ I will be in touch.

Why does it look like the dark blue is pulling away from the wall on the left side near the start of the slope down from the shallow end? I'm just curious - I'm not suggesting there is a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.