ROCMILLER

Apr 29, 2022
Webster, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I fought an Algae problem last week. Before reading the forums and pool tips, I floc'd it, triple vacuumed every to waste and added about a gallon and half of liquid chlorine. That cleared the pool up in the short term, but I still have a few spots of Algae pooping up on my sunledge, steps, and I see a spot developing in the deep end.

Needless to say during this battle I threw away the test strips and stopped going to the store for testing, bought a TF-Pro kit which arrived today. I went through the motions with the test kit - first timer. Here is where I'm at.

CYA - 80
FC - 6
CC - 1
Calcium - 150
TA - 110
CL - 5
PH - 7.5

Lastly, we just had a bunch of thunderstorms roll through this afternoon. I pulled the water before the storms to test, but now assuming I'll have to retest after the rain leaves the area.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Rain has little effect on water chemistry unless you overflowed a foot or more.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. It would be best to get your CYA to under 60 (aim for 50). That will take about a 40-50% water drain/exchange. With a vinyl pool, you can drain down to the top of the bottom step (there is a risk the liner will shift) or do an exchange. See Draining - Further Reading

Reactions: Mdragger88
Rain has little effect on water chemistry unless you overflowed a foot or more.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. It would be best to get your CYA to under 60 (aim for 50). That will take about a 40-50% water drain/exchange. With a vinyl pool, you can drain down to the top of the bottom step (there is a risk the liner will shift) or do an exchange. See Draining - Further Reading
Ugh. I've literally drained 10% of the pool 3 consecutive times over the past week to get rid of the FLOC.

@mknauss im going to dump the water as you suggested. You comment about liner shift gives me a little pause. Looking at my last step it’s roughly 12 or so inches below the bottom of my skimmer plates (opposite side) - which is my mark for draining the pool before winter closing.

Can you elaborate on liner shift?

Vinyl liners can shift when water is drained.

If you are considering an exchange, read the article linked above very carefully. You need to understand the water density difference between what is in the pool vs your fill water to get an efficient exchange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.