kylwilson92

May 17, 2021
Diamond Bar, CA
Im getting started designing my pool and its time to decide what depth we want. Our yard is only big enough for a 20ft long by 12ft wide pool so we were thinking it might be fun to do a sport pool with a deep end in the middle, shallow on the ends. I was thinking 3.5ft to 5.5ft to 4ft deep. I was wondering though if 20ft is enough length to have the transitions needed and still have a decent sized shallow ends. This is for a inground gunite/shotcrete pool.

Our pool is slightly bigger and free form, but we have a similar depth profile. 3.5 at the steps, 4 on the sides, and 5 in the middle. To be honest, I wish we went slightly deeper after seeing the endless cannonballs of the last few weeks, but it seemed like our PB might have recommended this due to the transitions.

With that size, it might make sense to do all one depth or else it'll be all slope. A family member has a similar size pool as the one you are planning and it's all 4' (water depth) and they've really enjoyed it!

Im getting started designing my pool and its time to decide what depth we want. Our yard is only big enough for a 20ft long by 12ft wide pool so we were thinking it might be fun to do a sport pool with a deep end in the middle, shallow on the ends. I was thinking 3.5ft to 5.5ft to 4ft deep. I was wondering though if 20ft is enough length to have the transitions needed and still have a decent sized shallow ends. This is for a inground gunite/shotcrete pool.
Have you made a decision? I’m in a similar situation. My planned inground pool is 12x24. I’d like the water depths to be 4-5-4 but I’m thinking at that limited length it will cause the pool to have too many slopes. Maybe it’s best to have all one consistent 4.5 depth. IDK…

My pool is 28 feet long. I have a 3ft tanning ledge across the shallow, so 24 feet or so of actual depth profile. I did 4ft to 5ft. I really like it. The slope is gradual and it has worked out great.

Reactions: kylwilson92
Have you made a decision? I’m in a similar situation. My planned inground pool is 12x24. I’d like the water depths to be 4-5-4 but I’m thinking at that limited length it will cause the pool to have too many slopes. Maybe it’s best to have all one consistent 4.5 depth. IDK…
Yes I decided to do 3.5ft to 5ft. Like you said the pool would be all slope if I were to do a sport pool design. most adults will still be able to stand in the 5ft area and its still deep enough for the kids to do cannonball jumps. no diving of course though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.