Splitting plants is a good thing

I considered steel or brick edging but gave it up as another thing to trim. Most of my trees are big enough that getting grass to grow under them would be a problem. I used a commercial bed edger (rental) to cut a nice neat tree ring. I can mow the edge with my riding mower and the shade/much keeps the grass and weeds in check.

Brilliant! Maybe that's what we need to do to make our trees look neat and tidy again? Keeping up with the mulch, weeds, and grass growing over the edging seems never ending.
Make sure you put 4 layers of newspaper down in the area to smother weeds from coming up. Then cover with the mulch.

Make sure you put 4 layers of newspaper down in the area to smother weeds from coming up. Then cover with the mulch.
We have a plastic liner, most of the weeds come from trees dropping seeds/fruit or squirrels/wind carrying things in. It's growing in to the mulch, not coming up from under it. Ugh. We didn't put the liner behind the garage and now have a whole "garden" (including trees and corn) there that we didn't plant. We call it the squirrel garden Busy, BUSY little things they are! :p

• Haha
Reactions: mariane
Those are beautiful. We only have the garden variety orange "ditch" lilies. They are very prolific and would have that entire flower bed filled in 2 years. Hence called "ditch" lilies. :whip:

I have the orange "ditch" lilies as well as some purple, red and yellow ones. My wife and I visited a lily farm and picked out a variety. They were much bigger and very reasonably priced in comparison to the big box stores and local greenhouses. Wholesale pricing vs. retail pricing. From there we split them as they get bigger.

I have the orange "ditch" lilies as well as some purple, red and yellow ones. My wife and I visited a lily farm and picked out a variety. They were much bigger and very reasonably priced in comparison to the big box stores and local greenhouses. Wholesale pricing vs. retail pricing. From there we split them as they get bigger.
That's so much more affordable and sounds nice to have a variety of colors.

Any one who lives near Metro-Detroit can PM me and come dig up the orange "ditch" lilies for free.
Don't crowd. No pushing. No shoving. Plenty to go around. Take as much as you like. There will be plenty more to replace them next year. :laughblue:LOL

Lol. The orange color is nice though.

My favorite daylilies I have are my double daylilies. They r a bloom that grows inside a bloom. They r pretty funky. I have peach, crimson red and orange. The blooms r huge. What I don’t like about them is the leaves die as they bloom cause they are using so. I have energy to push thier blooms. They don’t totally die but they are deff half half dead vs green leaves. But the blooms are crazy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
STOP IT!!! You all are going to cost me a divorce. :p
Every time my wife see's all the photos of these beautiful flower beds on this thread, I think she gets an idea of moving to someplace else where plants other than cactus and palm trees thrive. :mrgreen:.
All very nice!!!
r.

jimim
:p I understand. But how would you feel about my 111 degrees right now? :)
r.
No problem man. One of my roommates from college lives in Scottsdale. I used to love going home with him. The hiking. The dessert. The outdoor bar in the middle of nowhere in the dessert we used to go to. I’ll take the 111. It’s dry air though. No humidity. Lol. Isn’t that what they say.

No problem man. One of my roommates from college lives in Scottsdale. I used to love going home with him. The hiking. The dessert. The outdoor bar in the middle of nowhere in the dessert we used to go to. I’ll take the 111. It’s dry air though. No humidity. Lol. Isn’t that what they say.
jimim
I gotcha. All of what you say is very true. And playing 18 on a sunny January day is sure hard to beat.
Yep, it's a "dry air" alright :mrgreen:... It does get a bit annoying though when you walk outside on a July afternoon and it feels like you just walked into a blast furnace :p. But I will say that I would gladly take 111 (and with a pool in the back yard) over the nearly unbearable 120 - 125 that I experienced in Kuwait. :eek: I'm thinking that I should be thankful!
Please take care and enjoy your summer ;)...
r.

Every time my wife see's all the photos of these beautiful flower beds on this thread, I think she gets an idea of moving to someplace else where plants other than cactus and palm trees thrive. :mrgreen:.
All very nice!!!
r.
Would you like me to ship her some ditch lilies? She could put them in pots in the house. :sneaky:

All very nice!!!
r.

Just tell your wife, “sure hunny, we can move to where those flowers grow, here’s your new garden tools”.....

:mrgreen:

All this talk about ditch lilies reminds me. Whenever I bought a plant I didn’t like when I was learning after I built my home I would dig it up when the wife went to work or out and threw it in the woods behind the house. If it survived so be it. It would just help to build up the wild flower look I’m trying to get at my property line into the woods. If it died so be it. When my wife would ask where did that plant do I would say it must have died? If it survived in the woods and she saw it the following years I said huh look at that when I threw the dead plant back there must have been a bit still alive.

That song and dance worked for like 2 seasons when the marriage was new. Lol. You all know what I mean. Ya that doesn’t even remotely fly 14 years later. Lol

• Haha
The lilies are all in bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    715.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.