Spinning my Tires

Coach_1

May 10, 2016
Duncan, Ok
Been slamming for 3 days now and getting nowhere! Frustrating to say the least. Cya is at 45 so I've been maintaining my chlorine at 18 and going through it like a fat guy eats sweet and sour chicken at the Chinese buffet. Can't keep enough of it. Used almost 25 gallons so far. Been brushing, vacuuming, back washing daily.

What am I missing?

Day 1 had lots of tadpoles and swampy green. Very little debris. Today it's a blueish green.

Congratulations on your progress! 3 days and progress is a very good start to a SLAM, but depending on the degree of your swamp and your exact equipment you have for your size pool, a SLAM can take several more days. Stay positive! Your pool took many days, weeks, months, maybe years to get that way, but it will take far less to clean it up. May I ask if you have a test kit/which one? Did you happen to check/adjust PH before you raised the FC above 10/if so what was it? Also, please do this when you have a moment as it will help us help you without having to ask them.

blueish green from green means progress is being made... it didn't go green in one day, and won't clear up in one.
We don't recognize a CYA at 45... your level is 50... as long as the test was good... maintain a FC level of 20... you ARE on your way... just not there yet!
keep at it, you will get there. Trust me... I have been there!

FYI... THIS is the reason I found this site... I kept going through this situation... until I found this site... I have not had an issue since.

Should I be using that much chlorine though? I'm adding a few gallons a day.

The amount of bleach that goes in the pool is entirely determined by pool math after your FAS-DPD test. Unlike the CYA that never really breaks down and just stays in there, the bleach oxidizes the green stuff and in the process is converted to "not-bleach" (CC, salt, etc), leaving your pool un-sanitized. We have to replenish it constantly so the pool gets and stays safe. If you put several gallons of bleach in a clean pool, with barely anything to kill, your FC would be sky high, threatening your plaster/vinyl. In your current pool, with lots of green ready to battle and use-up bleach very fast, you can feed your pool as much bleach as it can consume in order to keep FC at shock value, all without damaging your pool, assuming pump running, pouring slowly, and brushing if you pour too fast. Even though you've added 10 gallons over the last three days there is currently less than 2 in the pool right now, give or take, because the rest has been used up.

Note: The reason we only bring FC up to shock (slight overshoots okay once and a while) is that SLAM-length exposure to this level will not harm plaster/vinyl. You wouldn't want to keep FC at shock year round for various reasons, but for the duration of the SLAM, you'll be fine bringing it up to and keeping it at shock FC for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stored in a cool and dark location that will keep well for weeks and even a few months. Stored in direct sunlight and heat = days and weeks. Take care of your chems and don't store bleach next to MA. Congrats on your stock-up and welcome to the exclusive club of bleach stock up buyers that have dropped employee jaws :)

Thanks. I keep them out in my shop building. It's nice and insulated.

Can't figure out why my pressure climbs high and fast when I'm vacuuming. It will get up to 40psi in a matter of minutes. I have to stop and backwash frequently when vacuuming. Does it from the skimmer and side suction port on the side of the pool. The auto vac does the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's picture. Gaining ground slowly.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 111
Well, it is normal for a filter to clog up with you are clearing a dirty pool. Sand filters usually have less of a problem with this happening so often. But, I think your filter is a little undersized for your pool size.

350 lb sand filter is likely around a 27" diameter (4 sqft), for a 30k pool I would recommend a minimum of a 32" diameter (5.6 sqft) which is in the 500+ pounds of sand range.

Yours will work, just require more frequent cleanings.

BTW, we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Don't see it as spinning tires if it's not done on day 3; it takes time. Took me two weeks to clear SLAM this year, and the water was basically crystal clear when I opened. (little algae, bunch of dead worms, then pollen attack for a few days).

Just keep working it; it's not magic. Stick with it, and it'll be just fine soon enough. It's more satisfying to watch yours visibly get nicer than it is to start with mine which looked clear from the start but wasn't passing SLAM :)

This is how mine goes as well. Granted it only takes me 3 days or so, but it is a case of minimal progress for 2 days, and then it finishes quickly. I backwashed three time the year when opening. It all depends on how much fine debris is in the pool.

-dave

Major improvements overnight!! Can almost see the bottom of the deep end.

YAY! Congratulations! Keep at it! Don't slack on the SLAM procedure and your progress is unstoppable!

- - - Updated - - -

This is how mine goes as well. Granted it only takes me 3 days or so, but it is a case of minimal progress for 2 days, and then it finishes quickly. I backwashed three time the year when opening. It all depends on how much fine debris is in the pool. -dave

Congrats to you too!

My pressure still rises fast when I vacuum with the manual vac or the auto. Have to backwash 5 minutes into a vacuum. Frustrating to say the least. Is this normal? Not getting any debris other than dusty looking stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.