Spillway material problem

Ccryder5

Feb 15, 2020
South Carolina
Hey y’all!
I’m looking for suggestions on a problem we are beginning to have with my pool/spa spillway.
The Pool/Spa is only 2 years old, but I’ve started to notice my marble spillway ledge is beginning to deteriorate.

When initially installed it was a nice smooth piece of white veiny marble. But now the surface is very rough, with visible cracks starting to run through it…including a couple of cracks that are nearly all the way through.
Clearly the marble surface is not holding up to the salt water, chlorine, etc that rushes over it. And the chemistry of my pool is constantly “dialed in“ by yours truly! (Thanks to this site!)
My PB agrees ….and has offered to replace it…however, I’m not sure he actually knows what to replace it with??
I’m not interested in tile or travertine.

But I’m wondering if a piece of silestone or quartz (like used on countertop) would work?
Or maybe granite?
The size of the spillway ledge is approximately 34” wide X 13” (see pics) ..and is the centerpiece of our pool/spa.
Any ideas or suggestions on what to replace this with would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Chuck

Attachments

• 4A7DE548-F215-47C3-9161-E3EC25BE8011.jpeg
    4A7DE548-F215-47C3-9161-E3EC25BE8011.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 33
  • B2681689-DD4E-43FC-9D4A-0A036111A868.jpeg
    B2681689-DD4E-43FC-9D4A-0A036111A868.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Quartz, like used for countertops, though tough and impenetrable, is a man made product of quartz and resin and affected by UV (even near windows), and not used outdoors. Quartzite, also used for countertops and a step up from Quartz, is a natural stone and is used in pools as well as outdoor kitchens. Very classy stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ccryder5
Hi! I work for a quartz manufacturer - it is NOT rated for pool use - we have outdoor colors, but only for tabletops - I would suggest a natural stone, like a granite or travertine. I'm surprised you PB installed marble, that's one of the softest materials available....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.