Spill over spa not heating by itself

wb99

Jun 15, 2022
Lynbrook, NY
Good morning, I’m new pool owner and just had pool installed. Running it for 2 months and can’t seem to heat spa by itself. From my research online it looks like I am missing a return line from my spa. All my valves are manual , so switching over done by hand. I’m including pictures of setup to try and get advice in how to proceed going forward. From what I determined is that the main pump can pump to either waterfall , spa, 2 keys in back of pool and 2 jets on stairway of pool, and main drain in bottom of pool. The returns are just from main drain and either skimmer. Then I have separate pump with supply and return to spa. What I am thinking of doing is adding a three way valve on return of that separate system and piping into main return with tee , right at main pump and then I will be able to heat the spa by itself but won’t be able to run bubbles and small pump. What do you gentlemen think?

Attachments

• DBF71451-0410-46A2-9047-AFEF425B935D.jpeg
    DBF71451-0410-46A2-9047-AFEF425B935D.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FA32A8BD-EA62-422C-867B-0345CDB9A415.jpeg
    FA32A8BD-EA62-422C-867B-0345CDB9A415.jpeg
    720.6 KB · Views: 20
  • CB36445F-2D95-4C5C-ABFC-BC5DA935EC9A.jpeg
    CB36445F-2D95-4C5C-ABFC-BC5DA935EC9A.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 63329BCE-4266-4C0F-ADE8-B4D8B94E05AD.jpeg
    63329BCE-4266-4C0F-ADE8-B4D8B94E05AD.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 21

I think your pool builder is an idiot.. :mrgreen:

If the pool is only two months old, why are you not having the pool builder come fix the problem?

Not sure I fully understand your description, but the fix is to replumb so that the main pump can suck water from the Spa drain and then send the heated water back to the Spa. When doing this, the pump needs to be connected so that it can only suck water from the Spa and all the water must be returned to the spa.

Is this a spillover spa, or does your spa have its own skimmer?

Thanks,

Jim R.

All plumbing should be labeled, especially if it's all a manual system. The PB definitely should have labeled those plumbs, as you don't want to be out there scratching your head every time you want to change operation!

I think your pool builder is an idiot.. :mrgreen:

If the pool is only two months old, why are you not having the pool builder come fix the problem?

Not sure I fully understand your description, but the fix is to replumb so that the main pump can suck water from the Spa drain and then send the heated water back to the Spa. When doing this, the pump needs to be connected so that it can only suck water from the Spa and all the water must be returned to the spa.

Is this a spillover spa, or does your spa have its own skimmer?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Spill over spa

The labels need to be wrong. I am praying for you that the labels are wrong. On the suction side, i am hopeful that instead of 2 skimmer pipes, there is 1 pipe for the skimmers and one for the pool drain. And the other side is the spa drain.

Also - a return (pressure side) that is labeled "main drain to pool" is so wrong that someone sticking that on should have said, wait why?

1655394869547.png

Actually looking at the plumbing, even if one of the skimmer lines was a drain, you couldnt stop suction from the pool. Wonder if the Return to drain was supposed to be the spa drain suction?

Ugh, call the builder...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The labels need to be wrong. I am praying for you that the labels are wrong. On the suction side, i am hopeful that instead of 2 skimmer pipes, there is 1 pipe for the skimmers and one for the pool drain. And the other side is the spa drain.

Also - a return (pressure side) that is labeled "main drain to pool" is so wrong that someone sticking that on should have said, wait why?

View attachment 424519
I’m screwed because I just verified by doing quick clean on pump and put right skimmer on and had suction on right skimmer, then switched over to left and had skimmer on left side, crazy!

I’m screwed because I just verified by doing quick clean on pump and put right skimmer on and had suction on right skimmer, then switched over to left and had skimmer on left side, crazy!
Call the builder, but while you are waiting. On the pressure side (returns) close the return that says "to spa" and fully open the one that says "main drain to pool"
See if you still spill over.

No spill over with spa valve closed and main drain open

If you shut off the water going into the spa, what else would you expect???

I think the idea was to see if the pipe labeled as "Main Drain to Pool" was really the spa drain. If it was, all the water would have been sucked out of the spa pretty quickly.

The "Main Drain to Pool" is most like what some call "Deep Heat". It allows you to use the main drain as a pool return and in theory it heats the water in the deep end. More marketing than anything else.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think the idea was to see if the pipe labeled as "Main Drain to Pool" was really the spa drain. If it was, all the water would have been sucked out of the spa pretty quickly.
Since it said main drain, i was testing a theory that it was the spa drain mis plumbed and mis labeld, and since it was on the return, it would have continued to fill the spa as if the spa returns were on causing it to spill over. Obviously the test failed to prove that theory.

Since it said main drain, i was testing a theory that it was the spa drain mis plumbed and mis labeld, and since it was on the return, it would have continued to fill the spa as if the spa returns were on causing it to spill over. Obviously the test failed to prove that theory.
@Noreaster

That is what I was trying to say you were doing. I thought it was a pretty good test to try. Thanks for thinking of it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Noreaster
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.