Spent about $75 on chlorine over 2 weeks, still cloudy white

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

Late last year we started having difficulty getting the pool clean. I can't remember if it went green on us over a vacation or what happened but we ended up with a white cloudy pool that we eventually gave up on and closed green.

We opened the pool 14 days ago. Put floc in it. Vacuumed as much as we could but some streaks would not come up. First week we did not hold it at shock level, we brought it to shock level every evening but were not home during the day to keep it there. Still very cloudy so I pulled the sand filter apart, rinsed it for 30 min with a hose, moving the sand around, and then filled it with vinegar for 4 hours just in case hard water was impacting the sand (we have hard water here). 2nd week we kept it at shock level for 5 straight days until yesterday we actually got in it when it was at a 5 CL level. Still not very clear but a least we could somewhat see the drain. We found that the bottom and sides of the pool was rough like sand paper. The streaks we could not get with the vacuum that we thought was mud ended up being little mats of algae stuck to the liner, especially in the nooks and carnies. The pool broom does not seam to be able to get this algae no matter how much I brush. In the shallow end the liner is stained in spots but the algae is gone. In the deep end, well, I can't see where the algae is unless I dive down and scrub it by hand. I had a pretty strong headache after doing that and did not get it all, we did get all the shallow end and everything in the deep end down to 3 feet. I dumped in 4 gallons of 10% bleach after that to just kill whatever. Today there is a lot of what looks like sand on the bottom (dead algae I assume) but we are still very cloudy.

Can I just use an algaecide or something other than bleach to get this caked on algae up? I do not have the time to wait for the chlorline levels to go down far enough to dive in and scrub every couple of days.

My other thought is to just pull the liner because it is 9 years old anyway and torn in the corner (but no bad). But I would rather stick with my liner if I do not have to spend hours and hours scrubbing and burning chlorine.

Numbers below...

CL 12
CC 0
CH 200 - 225
TA 140
CYA 30
PH 7.7

OK, Now I'm back on track (inside joke)

Can I assume those numbers are from your TF-100?

I'm sorry to say, algecides are a preventative product, not something that really kills algae. The problem I'm guessing you have is calcium scale (the hard stuff) with algae growing on it.

I would suggest following the SLAM Process and see what happens over the next few days. You already admit that you were unable to test and bring it back to shock only once a day and that is just not enough....

OK, Now I'm back on track (inside joke)

Can I assume those numbers are from your TF-100?

I'm sorry to say, algecides are a preventative product, not something that really kills algae. The problem I'm guessing you have is calcium scale (the hard stuff) with algae growing on it.

I would suggest following the SLAM Process and see what happens over the next few days. You already admit that you were unable to test and bring it back to shock only once a day and that is just not enough....

Thanks very much. Yes it is using the TF-100 kit. How do you get the calcium scale off and what causes it? We have been SLAMing for 5 straight days, halted on Saturday so we could swim and see whats actually happing on the floor of the pool. My big concern is that sweeping is not getting the algae up and I am just wasting money because it will never clear until I get that algae up, correct?

Before I found this forum I had a cloudy pool for about a week then my pool store sold me flock that you can put in the water or right into the filter. So I put it in the filter and it went from cloudy to clear by the next day. I do not know if what I did was good or bad for my pool and sand filter but it worked.

Before I found this forum I had a cloudy pool for about a week then my pool store sold me flock that you can put in the water or right into the filter. So I put it in the filter and it went from cloudy to clear by the next day. I do not know if what I did was good or bad for my pool and sand filter but it worked.

That is a very interesting method, I have never heard of that before. I put floc in day 1, but have not seen great results from it this year. When I had a mud pool 4 years ago it was great, but not this year with just green.

Yea, Flock is either hit or miss, and when it is a miss it can mess stuff up big time. Clogged sand filters, destroyed cartridge filter and the worst because of flock and clarifiers.

It is safe to swim in water that is up to shock level, so don't let that keep you from getting in the water. Scale occurs when too much calcium is in the water. I fyou put your nubmers into PoolMath and you show a very positive number that is condusive to scale beginning to occur on pool surfaces. For lack of a better term it is rocks (calcium) beginning to grow on the pool surfaces.

Yea, Flock is either hit or miss, and when it is a miss it can mess stuff up big time. Clogged sand filters, destroyed cartridge filter and the worst because of flock and clarifiers.

It is safe to swim in water that is up to shock level, so don't let that keep you from getting in the water. Scale occurs when too much calcium is in the water. I fyou put your nubmers into PoolMath and you show a very positive number that is condusive to scale beginning to occur on pool surfaces. For lack of a better term it is rocks (calcium) beginning to grow on the pool surfaces.

I used flocs & clarifiers almost yearly for 6 years before I found TFP.
My mistake was not vacuuming to waste.
If you do that then only thing you really lose is water.
Would I recommend it, no.
If your filtration system is not keeping up or working as fast as you want it to, then invest in a better one or be patient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.