Speakers are in the ground. Minor issue.

Recently installed the Monoprice Sycamore with four satellites around a new pool build, but I’m having an issue where the sound output to each satellite is very low, to the point where they can’t be heard from a foot or so away, with volume maxed out.
Using a 200w amp with Amazon Alexa as the source. Wired a L channel “trunk” with two satellites spit from there, and the same on the right; marching +/- along the way. Wire runs (14 gauge wire) are long, though. 150+ feet back to the amp.

Any one experience similar issues? Could I have wired something wrong causing very limited power / volume to the satellites? The bass is solid/strong.

Thanks.
I had an issue where the L channel wasn’t working. It turned out to be the crossover in the sub. Monoprice replaced it and never had an issue.

also, double check your wiring from sub to satellite. Instead of a trunk, I ran individual wires to each satellite.

I’m also thinking for a 150’ run, you may want to get a thicker gauge wire to carry more of the power to the sub.

Reactions: Teenwolf74
I had an issue where the L channel wasn’t working. It turned out to be the crossover in the sub. Monoprice replaced it and never had an issue.

also, double check your wiring from sub to satellite. Instead of a trunk, I ran individual wires to each satellite.

I’m also thinking for a 150’ run, you may want to get a thicker gauge wire to carry more of the power to the sub.
Appreciate the reply. Sorted it out. Ended up being a bit of moisture on the speaker ends I hadn’t yet terminated causing a bit of a short.

Reactions: Cephrael
@Cephrael how do you have your other 2 speakers connected? I have the same system, but just 2 speakers and the sub. i'd like to add 2 more of the satellites. do each of the sets of 2 speakers wired back to the sub?

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I wired them up the same as the first set. Worked well.

--Jeff
Meaning you ran a separate 2 conductor wire for each pair, using a wire nut connecting them all to the sub? May have to re-think adding 2 more speakers, if that will be what I have to do. It would be a major PITA to do that with my set up. I was hoping I could wire the new satellites off of the existing ones by branching off..just soldering on new wire.

@jimim do you think that would be possible? To use the existing wire and just branch off of each side for the new speaker? This is the monoprice sycamore 2.1 system, of which I currently only have 2 satellites. You can have up to 4 satellites per sub though.

Meaning you ran a separate 2 conductor wire for each pair, using a wire nut connecting them all to the sub? May have to re-think adding 2 more speakers, if that will be what I have to do. It would be a major PITA to do that with my set up. I was hoping I could wire the new satellites off of the existing ones by branching off..just soldering on new wire.

@jimim do you think that would be possible? To use the existing wire and just branch off of each side for the new speaker? This is the monoprice sycamore 2.1 system, of which I currently only have 2 satellites. You can have up to 4 satellites per sub though.
Ask Monoprice what they recommend since it's their speakers and they say you can have up to 4 speakers. I would think you can just come off as long as the run form the source isn't very long. you get alot of loss as the run gets longer and longer even with very heavy speaker wire.

Yup, this is exactly what I did. But as Jim said, you should be able to do what you are wanting to also, as long as the run isn't excessively long.

--Jeff

Reactions: Snikwah
the drop in decibels with longer run is real and it hurts. lol so watch those runs. Even going up gauge in speaker wire doesn't do alot to help. You can run 100' with no issues but once you are over that it gets tricky. My run from my basement out of my house down the property into the pool house and then back out to around the pool got interesting. I took a hit but I didn't want to move my Nuvo server out of the rack in the basement to the pool house. I had already bought custom cut faceplates for the rack and those bad boys are expensive. Lets put it this way. its loud enough and if one of my goof ball kids decide to best that zone they won't blow the speakers.

Reactions: Snikwah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.