Spalling after draining / refilling pool. Cosmetic or something worse?

draco aqua

Bronze Supporter
Jul 2, 2019
Los Angeles / California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently had to drain and refill this pool to have it repiped. I’m now getting spalling in the shallow end near the steps.

I’ve done a bucket test and I’m not losing any water.

I was hoping to rehab this pool in stages doing the pipe work now and the replaster in a few years.

I’ve searched the forums and haven’t been able to find a clear answer on this.

With that said, is spalling primarily a cosmetic problem or will the pool eventually begin leaking from these areas where I would need to take care of this sooner rather than later?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2933.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 20
It is hard to see on your pic if the gunite is exposed or just a layer of plaster was lost.

If you have plaster on the spalled areas you should be fine for a while.

AJW, Thanks for your reply. It’s maybe a 1/8 inch top layer of plaster that was lost in those areas exposing a white rougher plaster below. No exposed gunite as far as I can tell.

The areas with spalling are definitely growing in size after I brush or the pool vac goes over it.

I do notice more blisters forming that haven’t popped yet.

@onBalance thanks for that link! I found your original post on this forum.

The one question I had that isn’t answered in the article or anywhere I’ve searched - when does spalling become a problem where you’ll absolutely need to refinish your pool?

Is it just if/when gunite is exposed or are there other criteria you use?

Spalling does not cause a water leakage issue. Nor does it mean that a replaster is required. As you indicated, the surface is very rough which is really the only issue. When the gunite is exposed is when it becomes more serious, however, spalling does not typically expose the gunite.

A plaster coat is typically an half inch thick, so spalling of an eighth inch thickness doesn't really do much harm as long as the plaster coat is at least an half inch thick. Hope this answers your question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.