SpaGuard Enhanced Shock - Chemical Breakdown

hotubbie

May 17, 2020
Dallas
I have been adding some SpaGuard Enhanced Shock lately and I found an MSDS for it that lists the chemical components as below...

Can the group confirm that I am correct in the purpose of each component?
  • 58.2% Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione - This is the stabilized chlorine component with approximately 60% chlorine portion and 40% Cyanuric Acid portion.
  • 10-30% Sodium Persulfate - This is the oxidizer, similar to Potassium Monopersulfate (non-chlorine shock), but unlike MPS it oxidizes faster, introduces less TDS and can be an irritant (?).
  • 7-13% Aluminum Sulfate - (Alum) - This is flocculent, designed to capture and weigh down solids in the water to help the filter capture then leading to improved water clarity.
  • 7-13% Boron Salt (Trade Secret) - I have no idea what this is doing...maybe a pH stabilizer and water softening?
SpaGuard Enhanced Shock MSDS.png

Thoughts?

I prefer to stick w/ straight dichlor.
Sulfates aren’t great for your heater or swg if u have one.
I also don’t really appreciate combined products - especially one containing extra oxidizer - not sure if the one in that effects the cc test like mps.
I like to add my borates separately.
The combination of fc & cya is about all i like to have to keep up with.
If u are using the dichlor then bleach method you probably won’t be using too terrible much of this anyway so I wouldn’t sweat it terribly- just don’t buy it again when u run out. Look for a dichlor only product. Not sure how much of this u have but for reference I am still on my 2nd # of dichlor in my 3rd year of hot tub ownership.
@JoyfulNoise thoughts?

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Agree with above. Stick to straight dichlor. The sodium persulfate will act just like MPS and give false CC readings. The alum floc is unnecessary and borates can be added separately.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It’s to make the mixture pH neutral. Dichlor is acidic as is the persulfate. Both will lower pH. The borate salt is likely borax or orthoborate either of which will raise pH. Therefore the mixture will have less effect on pH.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.