DrNinjaman

Aug 10, 2021
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We had a city-wide power outage for about an hour last night, and this morning when I went out to start changing the water for the spring, I noticed that the tub wasn't running. The smartspa chlorine generator was running, which is something it has been doing more frequently lately, but the spa was off due to the shut-off breaker being tripped. I turned off the swcg cell, and tried resetting the breaker, but it tripped again immediately.
My concern at this point is that it is the heater again. It has been 11 months since the last one went bad, and I'm no longer keeping the salt cell in the filter, in line with the water return, like I had been, so this one should have lasted longer if that had been the main issue corroding the heater. It did last somewhat longer, as the previous heater only went 8 months, but I feel like these numbers are both pretty low.
I'm also wondering if it might be related to the heater running more often due to my home-made cover not being quite as insulating as the original cover foam, but I haven't actually measured that to know if it's true. And the I wonder if the salt cell was running more because the water is pretty old and maybe I have something going on with the balance. But the numbers have been rock solid for months, so I don't know.
I've got a service guy coming wednesday, but last time they replaced the heater they said the next one wouldn't be covered under warranty. Not the end of the world, I can pay for a heater, but I need to figure out how to get one to go more than a year. It's just the stock heater, Incalloy or whatever it's called, but is that typical life? How much longer will a titanium element last?

Last edited:
Checked the water just now and the salt cell definitely didn't need to be running. It was running when I came out to check this morning and the water just tested at 7.6 FC, 0-0.2 CC. pH 7.9, TA 50. FC is normally between 3 to 5 ppm with the Smarterspa. The pH and TA have been sitting at those numbers for literally months. That's the sweet spot. If I add baking soda, the pH climbs. At TA of 50 they both stay rock solid. They don't move, aside from the occasional wiggle due to aeration. So maybe I need to brush off the sensor wires or maybe the control board is toast from whatever surge hit it during the blackout. Or maybe the board is okay but the settings all got wiped back to default. Fun!

I’m thinking the zero point of the smarter spa got reset in the power failure.
As for the heater- Titanium is recommended over incoloy if you’re using a swcg.
Fwiw my inocloy heater is going on 6 years now & i have had a swcg the whole time.
What salt level are you running?

Reactions: DrNinjaman
Salt's at 1628 ppm. Borates at 31, CH 120. I know that titanium is recommended, but I just bought the spa three years ago, so the heater is whatever it came with stock and then replaced under warranty.

I just meant if the next one is on your dime spring for the titanium.

You didn’t mention your cya level.
What is it?