Spa Vs Stand Alone Hot Tub? Help! Save my marriage.

I think I may have lost the spa battle( not 100% lost but not looking good) and will do a stand alone down the road. My question is “Therapy Jet’s” on the swim out? What’s the ballpark figure on 3 jets?

Theyre just extra return lines with rotating jet nozzles. They don't do much but some like them. You have to valve them so you can isolate to really benefit from higher flow rates to feel them. Ita only water. I have seen spa style with air inductions mostly older pools, many had them on the step sides.

Reactions: Vukota12
Theyre just extra return lines with rotating jet nozzles. They don't do much but some like them. You have to valve them so you can isolate to really benefit from higher flow rates to feel them. Ita only water. I have seen spa style with air inductions mostly older pools, many had them on the step sides.
Thanks! I am going to pick my builder early next week and spa is still on table but I am softening my stance. Since you are Jersey as well what do you think of the A&S here?

Never heard of A+S. I've seen blue haven pools they are a commercial builder. I beleive they only do gunite. It's a different build experience dealing with an owner operator compared to a project manager and subs. Gunite guys aren't as busy in NJ they are a big jump in price compared to liner pools

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I had to close the pool in winter I'd probably go for stand alone... but then we're such cold weather wimps that would never happen. So we have the integrated spa. Use it all year round.

I'll offer a dissenting view from AZ. We opted for a standalone spa mainly because of the greater therapeutic value and instant hot water. It doesn't get a lot of use in the summer but we use it frequently in winter. It's located right outside our master bedroom door so easy in and out during our cold winter nights :)

Yes - it's another body of water to maintain but that ends up being a drain and fill every three months and cleaning cartridge filters weekly.

If I lived in a northern location requiring annual pool/spa winter closures a standalone would be a no-brainer.

I'll offer a dissenting view from AZ. We opted for a standalone spa mainly because of the greater therapeutic value and instant hot water. It doesn't get a lot of use in the summer but we use it frequently in winter. It's located right outside our master bedroom door so easy in and out during our cold winter nights :)

Yes - it's another body of water to maintain but that ends up being a drain and fill every three months and cleaning cartridge filters weekly.

If I lived in a northern location requiring annual pool/spa winter closures a standalone would be a no-brainer.

That was my next question...how much maintenance is there really on these stand alones? Do they have to run everyday? You have to clean the cartridge weekly? Is that a big deal ? Any pics?

Also what of ballpark to buy and get what you need ? Are we talking 5k? I would want maybe a 4-6 person tub.

That was my next question...how much maintenance is there really on these stand alones? Do they have to run everyday? You have to clean the cartridge weekly? Is that a big deal ? Any pics?

Also what of ballpark to buy and get what you need ? Are we talking 5k? I would want maybe a 4-6 person tub.
They are their own body of water w/ their own controls. Also they’re insulated w/ a cover so yes it runs all the time sort of. You set the temp & it runs the heater as necessary to maintain that temp. Generally they have a default filtering schedule that you can adjust. I believe mine filters twice a day for 1.5hrs each time. I clean my filters monthly (YMMV). I also do an ahhsome purge/drain/refill about every 4 months. We use our tub almost every day, sometimes twice a day except in the heat of the summer. I have a small plug & play 5 person round so it was like 2k$. I don’t like molded seating. Our weather in North MS is pretty mild so 110v is sufficient for us, by the time the water temp drops from 106 to 101 in the winter we’re ready to get out anyway.
They’re like cars- the bigger/more bells & whistles- the more $$

Reactions: 4x4tx
They are their own body of water w/ their own controls. Also they’re insulated w/ a cover so yes it runs all the time sort of. You set the temp & it runs the heater as necessary to maintain that temp. Generally they have a default filtering schedule that you can adjust. I believe mine filters twice a day for 1.5hrs each time. I clean my filters monthly (YMMV). I also do an ahhsome purge/drain/refill about every 4 months. We use our tub almost every day, sometimes twice a day except in the heat of the summer. I have a small plug & play 5 person round so it was like 2k$. I don’t like molded seating. Our weather in North MS is pretty mild so 110v is sufficient for us, by the time the water temp drops from 106 to 101 in the winter we’re ready to get out anyway.
They’re like cars- the bigger/more bells & whistles- the more $$

Thanks...yeah I dont want or need a super fancy one either.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.