Greater Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here: Valves going all the way around... all the way around...

I hate to bump this thread but I am having the same issues....when i kick on my spa one of them just keeps going all the way around...i am manually controlling them now....is this a cheap microswitch issue? Im not sure what I am looking for?

my valves are also the 2440 so they are probably 20 years old.....not sure they are worth trying to fix unless its really cheap.... If I replace I assume I can do these myself...my pool guy quoted me $175 ea to replace (I have two)..where is cheapest place to order and what model is the most current?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a failing microswitch or poor contact between the cam and the switch to stop the motor.

You can open up the actuator and look at what is going on. The micro switch is replaceable. Read Valve Actuators - Further Reading

Identical actuators are sold by Jandy, Pentair, and Intermatic. Search around for the best price.

It is an easy install in less then half hour. A few screws and the actuator plugs into your automation panel.

Reactions: 4x4tx
I posted the original thread. Fixing the microswitches only worked for a few months, so I bit the bullet, ordered replacement "actuators" (motors) from Amazon. They're about $120 each and were dead-easy to install on the existing valves. However, I didn't have to recalibrate them or change the direction of motion -- as delivered, they worked just fine. Remove a few long screws, pull off the old actuators, put on the new ones, replace the screws, and run the cables back to the control box.

The hardest part was snaking the cable back to my control box, and pushing the end through a grommet that had a lot of other stuff going through it. In other words, not hard at all.

You might be able to find these for less somewhere else, of course.

Thanks..any reviews on any that work or last longer than others. I got 20 years out of these orginals so wanted to go with same model...and one that like you said @InvaderZim that i dont have to recalibrate

Assume this one would work too....
Hayward GVA-24 Valve Actuator Replacement

its amazon prime Amazon.com: Hayward GVA-24 Valve Actuator Replacement: Garden & Outdoor

Looks like the hayward and intermatic are the best prices with prime free shipping...I also need some new handles for other valves.

I have a aqualink rs4 control panel

Thanks..any reviews on any that work or last longer than others. I got 20 years out of these orginals so wanted to go with same model...and one that like you said @InvaderZim that i dont have to recalibrate

Assume this one would work too....
Hayward GVA-24 Valve Actuator Replacement

its amazon prime Amazon.com: Hayward GVA-24 Valve Actuator Replacement: Garden & Outdoor

Looks like the hayward and intermatic are the best prices with prime free shipping...I also need some new handles for other valves.

I have a aqualink rs4 control panel

I just bought the same Jandy actuators that I already had. The valves are Jandy "neverlube" valves and I wasn't sure whether all brands were interchangeable. Mine were from 2006, and someone told me that they had been redesigned to make them more robust (I might have seen that stated in a YouTube repair video). The actuator box itself is a little flatter, which is great because one of the handles was just barely clearing a pipe as it turned, and now there's more clearance.

As far as having to reprogram it, I guess mine were installed in the default orientation. If yours weren't, you'd have to follow the instructions enclosed with the actuator.

I have heard that Jandy/Zodiac now only sell through authorized dealers and they've completely banned internet sales (maybe they've backed off on that), so buying through Amazon might result in warranty problems. That could be a reason to consider Hayward or Intermatic instead if they are compatible. Or you could order by phone from a reseller like the often recommended Marina Pool Supply in this form (just search for that). I just ordered a Dolphin cleaning robot from them and the price was great!

I noticed my spa over flow was a little weaker lately and that maybe the new valve is slightly off ....is there a easy way to fix the over-rotation?

I noticed my spa over flow was a little weaker lately and that maybe the new valve is slightly off ....is there a easy way to fix the over-rotation?

Adjust the cam Inside that hits the microswitch.

Well updating this thread for an fyi., the intermatic failed last week. My daughter used the spa one night and when I woke up the next day my spa was completed drained....went over to the actuator and it was clicking and buzzin...very hot and stuck in a weird position. I was able to manually get the valve back to pool circulation but the actuator is toast. Hoping my AMEX will warranty it. The original valve is still going strong at 22 years and this one lasted less than 2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.