Spa Spillover advice needed!!

Benwestpool

Jun 14, 2023
South Jersey
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Suggestions needed!!! We need help deciding on what material to use for our raised spa spillway spillover. We have a raised round spa with an 2 foot wide spillway. Has anyone used Majestic Water Spouts to get a spillway and your opinion? Our original plan fell through with our pool builder so we are deciding between a custom cut piece of bluestone to fit and overhang by 3 inches or get a custom insert with Majestic Water. I attached a picture of what we were thinking of getting. I prefer the look of the bluestone but my main concern is functionality and I want it to flow out and not just run down the side of the raised spa. I know that is mostly the spa pump and water speed/volume but I’m trying to do anything more that helps. If we do bluestone, would I need to have one piece raised on the left and right edge to create a channel like the copper one has? I attached a picture with yellow circles showing what I mean. Also, is 3 inches enough of an overhang? We have the option of 1.5 or 2 inch bluestone, is one thickness functionally better than the other? It would be one piece that would be custom cut to fit and have a sharp 90 degree edge. I have tried researching and requested they cut a small line on the underside all the way across to break the tension in case any water runs under but didn’t see recommendations of specifics of the cut. If the bluestone hangs 3 inches from the edge of the spa then they could cut the line 1 inch from the edge, or should it be closer? Also, do you recommend 1/8 or 1/4 inch deep? Should the cut run the entire length of the stone or stop before the edge? I attached a picture of stopping before the edge. Also, any reason to pick granite over bluestone, or not to go with bluestone? Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5583.png
    IMG_5583.png
    374 KB · Views: 70
What a great question! I am along for the ride to learn more from this one. I LOVE the look of the copper but anyone that has worked or owned copper knows about how it changes with time so not sure about it long term. I am going to ping someone who knows this kind of stuff and might have some ideas for you @AQUA~HOLICS

What a great question! I am along for the ride to learn more from this one. I LOVE the look of the copper but anyone that has worked or owned copper knows about how it changes with time so not sure about it long term. I am going to ping someone who knows this kind of stuff and might have some ideas for you @AQUA~HOLICS
Thanks! Our pool builder has not been helpful at all! Everything I’ve learn is by asking around and trying to research it. It’s frustrating because the pool builder messed up and signed us up for a spillway channel that only was available in 1ft but agreed to do it for 2ft. It was only when they showed up to do the tile and coping that we discovered the issue. They said they could fill in the extra foot and give us the channel but we didn’t want it that small. The pool builder wanted to do 1inch thick bluestone but would use multiple pieces but we didn’t want multiple pieces so we are having another company do the spillway now who will custom cut one piece if we go the bluestone route but they said they usually do 1.5 or 2 inch thick pieces.

Firs just want to clarify that this Bluestone is a natural stone product?
I am not familiar with the Majestic Water Spouts personally.
I can’t think of why the water line tile couldn’t extend to the spillway channel as an option other than looks and that’s probably why in the picture it has the same product in the channel.
3” would be adequate for an overhang and the under cut should stop just before the edges so not to be visible from the sides and about an inch back and it will still do its intended purpose.
Thickness of the Bluestone between 1 1/2 and 2” may have an effect on the depth of the spillway look when finished.

Firs just want to clarify that this Bluestone is a natural stone product?
I am not familiar with the Majestic Water Spouts personally.
I can’t think of why the water line tile couldn’t extend to the spillway channel as an option other than looks and that’s probably why in the picture it has the same product in the channel.
3” would be adequate for an overhang and the under cut should stop just before the edges so not to be visible from the sides and about an inch back and it will still do its intended purpose.
Thickness of the Bluestone between 1 1/2 and 2” may have an effect on the depth of the spillway look when finished.
Thanks so much for your reply!
Yes, the bluestone is a natural stone. Our coping is also bluestone so we were leaning towards that so that it would match and also tie into the look of our back yard. Tile was an option to do but we preferred the look of either the one slab of bluestone or the one piece of copper insert. Some people were recommending to do granite and I wasn’t sure if there was a functional reason why vs just a preference in style?
Is stopping the cut under the stone just before the edge only so that it is not visible? Or does it also play a functional purpose by not running it to the edge? If it’s just for the look then would there be any harm in extending the cut the entire length to prevent the water wrapping in those small sections since we won’t have stone channels built up on the edge like in the picture I circled in yellow? I preferred the look without the stone pieces up but also was wondering if you thought we need them to help channel the water and prevent it from spilling off the sides onto the wall?
I’m not sure what you mean by the 1.5-2” having an effect on the depth of the spillway look? Were you referring to the depth as far as it would be too high for the water level? If they did the thicker piece then they would cut down into the gunite so that top of the bluestone would still be halfway up the height of the 6” waterline tile at the water level, if that’s what you mean?

The choice between the two materials for the spillway should be up to your personal taste, both materials may not hold up as long as pool tile is my only concern.
Stopping the cut short is strictly for a visual effect. No harm in running the cut to the end.
Having the channels built up is going to help assist in getting the water away from the wall but keep in mind that as the water falls it’s going to get more narrower as it gets closer to the pool water and less of a chance to make contact with the wall.
Yes, I wasn’t aware that they are going to cut into the Gunite to maintain the proper level and that was my concern with using such a thick piece, glad that’s been addressed.

Reactions: kimkats
The choice between the two materials for the spillway should be up to your personal taste, both materials may not hold up as long as pool tile is my only concern.
Stopping the cut short is strictly for a visual effect. No harm in running the cut to the end.
Having the channels built up is going to help assist in getting the water away from the wall but keep in mind that as the water falls it’s going to get more narrower as it gets closer to the pool water and less of a chance to make contact with the wall.
Yes, I wasn’t aware that they are going to cut into the Gunite to maintain the proper level and that was my concern with using such a thick piece, glad that’s been addressed.
Thanks so much for the follow up! We are going to have them stop the drip line just short of the edge.
The only debate we are still unsure of is to go with or without the channels? Do you feel they make a huge difference in the water flow with or without them? We prefer the look without the channel but are concerned the functionality is hugely different with having them. I would be willing to sacrifice the look and make the channel if it would be that much more beneficial to have the channel. What are your thoughts? Here is a picture of what our spillway would look like with the channel. The waterline would also it the bluestone and they won’t be doing tile under the bluestone on the inner portion of the spa since they cut down into it.

Attachments

• IMG_5704.jpeg
    IMG_5704.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, it’s referring to the Bond Beam or the width of the spa thickness.
Thank you. I appreciate all of the feedback. We decided to go with the bluestone and add the channels to the sides to hopefully help make sure the water spills straight out and not running off to the left or right. We are still debating the thickness of the bluestone and are probably going with a 2 inch thick piece to keep the look tied in with the bluestone coping. When it comes to the level the top of the spillway should be: should the top portion of the spillway (where the water runs over) be approximately 3 inches below coping, which would be the height of the 6x6 inch square waterline tile? Or should it be a little lower than halfway up the waterline tile to help create more water flow when putting the pump on for the waterfall?

Hello,
I was just wondering how everything turned out. I have essentially exactly the same situation. I am having a custom cut 2" thick piece of limestone for my spillover, and trying to determine how much overhang and if the side channels are needed. My spillway is actually 5' wide, so I'm not sure if water will go off the sides or not. Curious what overhang you had on the inside and outside of your spillway. Do you think a bullnose outer lip on the spillway is going to prevent a waterfall effect? Either way I will have a channel cut underneath. Thanks!

Reactions: pcollins22
Hello,
I was just wondering how everything turned out. I have essentially exactly the same situation. I am having a custom cut 2" thick piece of limestone for my spillover, and trying to determine how much overhang and if the side channels are needed. My spillway is actually 5' wide, so I'm not sure if water will go off the sides or not. Curious what overhang you had on the inside and outside of your spillway. Do you think a bullnose outer lip on the spillway is going to prevent a waterfall effect? Either way I will have a channel cut underneath. Thanks!
Hi - I'm just wondering if you added side channels to your spa? I have similar 5' wide spillway and wasn't sure if it was required to prevent water from spilling over the sides. Thanks!

FYI only - We just had our limestone coping and spillover stone installed. The spillway is a single piece that will overhang a stone veneer face by ~3". We installed the drip edge cut underneath. I'm not sure how well water will flow because we went with a bullnose and did not slope the spillway upward to create extra pressure.

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_212928237.jpg
    PXL_20240409_212928237.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 4