Spa size 6'x6'

Idaninyo

Dec 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Hi, I am remodeling my pool which is 35' 15'
The spa suppose to be 6x6 and next to it a Baja.
I demoed the existing shotcrete where the jacuzzi suppose to be a little more so the jacuzzi can be same level as the pool like we want. Now I did all the Rebar work for the jacuzzi, Baja, and to raise deep end from 8' to 6'.
We are concerned if we made a mistake by doing 6x6 spa and should have made it a little bigger maybe 7x6. Also the Rebar shape we did has bench in all 4 walls of the jacuzzi. Thinking if it worth it to redo the rebar? We also going to need to demo more of the shotcrete on the bottom if we were to do that. Thoughts?

Personally I would move one of the walls out into the pool at least one or two feet and also remove the seat on that wall. The view from that seat is looking directly at a wall only a few feet away and it will also give more room for everyone else who’s using the spa. How many jet’s are you going to have and will you have different elevations on the seat?

So I am thinking of 8 jets, two on each wall, one more up one more down. The things is it will cost more to redo the rebar and cut the concrete on the bottom just to gain 1 more foot? Thinking if it really worth it. Also the plans show spa 6x6 not sure if the city inspector going to say something if I make it bigger? Another concern is that will delay the project. It was raining here and now I have water sitting on my shotcrete ( the existing shotcrete, I am doing a remodel to existing pool) and a so water and muddy in the jacuzzi area where I demoed the shotcrete, is this an issue? Here are more pics

Attachments

• Page 0 2.jpg
    Page 0 2.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 14
How are you measuring the size of your spa? You will lose about 3" on each side for the thickness of the gunite and plaster.

I am over 6' tall and like to stretch out in the spa. If your family and friends are shorter then a smaller spa may work for you. If you have tall people in your family then a 6'x6' spa will be tight to move around in.

My spa is 8' x 8'. Below is an annotated picture of the spa.

full

Yes it will cost more and delay the process if you decide to move the steel cage. I have not had any problems with inspectors when moving a wall inside the overall walls of the pool. Water on the Shotcrete and open floor is not going to harm anything and we are expecting more rain tomorrow. If the rebar has not been inspected yet you need to have the tubes of epoxy on site for him to see what type was used so tape them to the cage where the rebar goes into the wall.

Thank you guys so I spoke with the rebar guy. apparantly its not a big deal and i dont need to cut the existing shotcrete on the bottom more. He can change it to be 7x6 so I will gain one more foot ( since there is going to be a bench there no need to furthe cut in the shotcrete on the bottom so i just pay him a little extra to make it a little bigger since I didnt even plunb it yet. regarding showing the inspector the epoxy, thats why we have deputy inspection no ? I got the deputy inspection report to show the city inspector. I still havent decided whos going to do the shotcrete, any suggestions? need 3000 psi i assume?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The job is small so finding a good company who will commit may be hard to find but it’s doable. The company I suggest to my customers is out of Menifee in riverside county and thats too far away to keep it cost effective, $200 a yard is an average price. I suggest using a Shotcrete company over Gunite. Minimum PSI at 28 days is 2500, I like using 4000 to 4500 PSI on all jobs big or small.

Thanks, when you say price per yard $200 should I calculate entire pool which is 35x15? Or just the jacuzzi, Baja and deep end where it's being raise areas?
What is the advantage of using 4000-4500 psi over 2500-3000?
And why you recommend shotcrete over gunite?

Calculate for the spa and filling the void of the reef step and raising the deep end elevation. The price should include application.
Higher PSI is in my opinion best for the free standing walls of the spa at a small increase of cost that I’m use to.
Shotcrete is a far superior product than Gunite, less rebound, mix is calculated at a concrete yard not at the job site and most importantly to me is that water cannot be added to the mix during the application. Yes it cost more but worth it to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.