SPA return check valve breaks. Want to nix it. Thoughts?

cmc0619

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2018
Cherry Hill, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Hi all! I have an attached, raised, spillover spa. With my SPA intake and return completely closed off the SPA drains to the returns.

Now... I know why this is. For the 2nd time in the 2 years I've lived here (3 seasons), my check valve on the SPA return has cracked and allows water out/air in.

My question is... Is there a way I can just switch to a hydraulic solution and ditch the Jandy check valve that likes to break? I've attached a (very) crude drawing of what I'm thinking. Which is basically nixing the check valve all together and keeping my return line above the SPA for an extended period until it goes down to the return in the ground. I'm hoping that by just keeping it higher the water pressure in the SPA won't be enough to let it backflow into the pool. I have a SPA blower line with no check valves and water is not coming out of there... Hoping the same can be applied to my SPA return line

Banana for scale. And stick figure because the last time I did one of these someone told me I was missing a stick figure. :D

Attachments

• SPA fix.png
    SPA fix.png
    6 KB · Views: 25
When you say the check valve has cracked what exactly happened. I ask because ive only seen a valve crack because it had residual water and froze. The inner flapper can need maintenance but that's it. The raised loop probably wouldnt work due to siphoning

I take it back. It's not cracked the leak is just more noticeable now.

When I first bought the house in 2018 the check valve was visibly cracked in the site glass and housing and leaking bad. I called a pool pro and had it replaced. Post-fix from day 1 there was always water pooling at the top lip of the check valve where it met the PVC. Bad glue job I guess. I let it go because it was just a dribble. Fast forward two years and it's a lot worse so I thought it'd cracked again.

I'm basically just trying to get my plumbing to be as trouble free as my chemistry is. With the automation all I have to do is replace my MA jug once a month and empty my skimmers and I can usually con the kids into doing that for me. I figured the less breakable parts the better, was hoping for a physics hack.

Know any good pool companies down my way?

You dont even need a pool guy. Any handy person or a plumber can replace a check valve just look at pipe size and order a jandy online. This time of year it's very hard to get a pool co to replace a small component this is busiest time of year

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.