Spa pump size?

Jun 5, 2015
middletown, nj
My system has (had) two 2hp pumps. One on the pool/spa filter and heating and one on the booster pump of the spa. The pool pump burnt up - see my thread from yesterday for the carnage. I moved the spa's booster pump to the pool/spa filter and heating side to keep it clean and still heat the spa the last few weeks of the season.

My question is in replacing the booster pump for the spa side. Do I really need a 2 hp pump for that? What size pumps does everyone else have. We dont use the booster a whole lot and it seems like a 1 hp would get the job done fine.

Also, are the pentair whisperflo motors all the same size housing? so I can bolt in a 1 hp where a 2 hp used to be?

Thanks in advance!

Reducing the size of the spa pump will mean much weaker jets and less of a massage effect. However, you really don't need a 2 HP for the pool. I would put that pump back on the spa and get a two speed or VS for the pool. You could even replace the broken pool pump motor with a two speed or VS motor although you don't save much in up front cost. But either way, you will save quite a bit in energy costs.

Reducing the size of the spa pump will mean much weaker jets and less of a massage effect. However, you really don't need a 2 HP for the pool. I would put that pump back on the spa and get a two speed or VS for the pool. You could even replace the broken pool pump motor with a two speed or VS motor although you don't save much in up front cost. But either way, you will save quite a bit in energy costs.
Thanks! We dont use the booster pump much, but sure dont want it way undersized. Appreciate the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.