Spa pack popping GFCI

Bosley

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2018
Edmonton, alberta
Running a Gecko spa pack. Was a new replacement about 5 years ago. Yesterday the breaker popped and will only reset for about 10 seconds then trips again. I unplugged everything from the pack and it still trips. there is a 1 amp fuse in there that from research appears to be associated with the transformer on the main board. If i pull that fuse the breaker does not trip but the operating panel also does not come on. Hoping someone knows a bit about this spa packs. Wondering how to test the transformer and if that is actually the problem is it replaceable? I removed the pack to have a look at the back of the board and there is no burns or broken connections that I could see. There is some heat discoloration behind the fuse panel but very minor. Any ideas are appreciated. A new spa pack is $631. Would like to not have to change it again.

Cheers

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 5
  • spa.jpg
    spa.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 7
I highly doubt anything has gone wrong with the transformer. They're just two sets of wire coils with different numbers of wraps that're used to step down the voltage and convert from AC to DC to power the circuits on the motherboard and trigger the heater relays, etc. Nothing much to go wrong there.

How old is the heater? That's what I suspect is the culprit here. When my heater failed, it kept popping the GFCI. The heater was leaking too much current and that was what was causing the breaker to go. When you pull the fuse to the transformer, you're effectively shutting off the main board which eliminates the low voltage control signal that goes to the heater relay so the heater never kicks on and consequently your GFCI doesn't blow.

You've got slice valves on either side of the heater so I would be pulling that heater out and having it tested or just go ahead and replace the element in it if that's possible or the whole heater assembly if the element can't be changed out.

I don't know too much about those types of heaters as I'm only really familiar with the type of heaters used in my old Hot Spring tub but I would suggest you make sure you get a titanium element if you have a choice. AFAIK they last quite a bit longer.

The companies who make the hot tubs don't make the heaters or the elements but they usually will market them under their own brand name sold through their dealers at a premium price. You can save a lot of money sometimes by buying the element or heater from a third party supplier who sells the item under the actual heater's manufacturer's brand name.

Reactions: Bosley
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.