Spa Not “Spa”ing

mrschoen71

Apr 11, 2024
Los Angeles
Hello!

I’m a relatively new pool and spa owner (I have Jandy pool equipment with a variable speed Jandy pump). Recently, I’ve been experiencing this issue with my spa: when I activate Spa Mode from my iAquaLink app, the spa heats up, the spa filter activates but there is no bubbling. But then if I turn the air blower on for a minute and turn it off, the spa bubbling happens.
Full disclosure: this possibly started happening after I tinkered with the pump speed settings, but I’m not sure if that’s the root cause. I have the default Pool pump speed set at 1250 (it runs at that speed from 8a-7p except for a period at 2500 from 11a-3p) and the Spa pump speed set at 2750. I’m attaching a screen grab of my VSP speed setup and schedule.

I’d appreciate any insight as to what I can do to fix this. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Image.png
    Image.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to TFP.

Water is backflowing into the spa air line. The water is blocking the air until you run the blower which clears the water and then air can flow by venturi action to the spa jet manifold where it combines with the water.

You changing the spa pump speed changed the pressure balance between the air and water at the spa jets. What was it before and what did you change it to?

Thanks for the response!

I honestly don’t remember what the spa speed was before I changed it (it was likely at the default Spa speed, whatever that is) but it’s set at 2750 now. Should I bump up the Spa pump speed a bit and see if that works?

There is no default spa speed.

Lower it and see if things work better.

Spas with blowers are built for the air to work when the blower is on. You can leave the RPM setting and just run the blower when you want the bubbles.

Ahh, so I should lower the speed, not raise it? I’ll give that a shot. I’m fine with running the air blower to get the bubbles, but it was nice having the bubbles happen automatically when Spa Mode is activated. We have frequent house sitters and it’s always helpful to keep things as simple as possible :).

Thank you!

Higher spa speed is pushing water back into the air line.

Spa jets have separate pipes for water and air that combine at a manifold behind the jets.

A lower speed may not push the water back into the spa air line but will give less spa jet pressure.

I lowered the Spa speed to 2500 and the bubbling happened in Spa Mode without the air blower. Thanks so much!!!

If you are happy with spa jet water pressure at 2500 then run it that way.

If you want more spa jet pressure then increase the RPM and turn on the blower.