Spa Mode: Heater runs in "pool mode" - Wired wrong?

RedSkip

Apr 25, 2021
Sienna Texas
Hello,

About a month back we had a new Hayward DF400 installed. I assume it was wired poorly and here's why. When I switch to "Spa Mode" on my AquaPod 2.0 (Hayward ProLogic) the heater kicks on and the automatic valves switch the suction/discharge piping to the spa. All seems good, until the heater reaches 91F, then it fails to continue heating. (Spa Mode is set to 102) So I went to the unit and discovered it's in "Pool Mode" on the DF400 yet the AquaLogic says "Spa Mode".

In the AquaLogic the pool heater functionality is disabled, which I originally thought it was enabled and only set to a max temperature of 91F. Yet, it's not...

Any thoughts how to correct the DF400 heater to run in "Spa Mode" when the AquaPod says "Spa Mode"? I'm thinking I have some wires crossed in the AquaLogic Controller from the heater, but thought I'd reach out here prior to messing with communication wires.

Appreciate your time and patience..

B,

Heaters generally have either a two wire or three wire control system between the heater and the automation system.

How many wires does your control cable have?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have three available wires, two are connected to the relay currently. I have enough slack in the jacketed com wire to splice the green and connect it to the relay. Photo attached.Heater Relay.jpg

B,

You seem to have a two-wire system. In a two wire system they just use a simple relay to open or close a loop that goes back to the heater. Ignore the fact that there are four wires. The blue and white-blue are acting as one wire, and the orange and orange-white are acting as the other wire.

Your automation is not telling the heater if it is in the Pool mode or the Spa mode. It just tells the heater to "heat" or not "heat".

Now you just need to see where they go in the heater.

Jim R.

B,

See page 18 of this manual.. https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...ries-millivolt-owners-manual.pdf?fromCDN=true

It should be wired like it shows under "Connect to 2-wire remote on/off"

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim, appreciate your time.

Ironically, I have a fault code on the VSP too now. I'll check the wiring behind the terminal block in case I loosened a wire. ("Filter VSP Comm Error") Reading past posts I have a feeling you may have helped with this in a prior thread as well. Our VSP was installed in Decemeber-21 and had been working fine. Yesterday I noticed, when going to service mode on the controller I could not manually turn on the VSP, which had me scratching my head, but thought perhaps it's a timer issue. Hours later when the scheduled run time should have started, I noticed the error on the remote. I have some trouble shooting to do this morning, wish me luck!

Thanks again for your help on the heater, looks like I'll be checking wires today on that as well!

B

Thanks Jim, appreciate your time.

Ironically, I have a fault code on the VSP too now. I'll check the wiring behind the terminal block in case I loosened a wire. ("Filter VSP Comm Error") Reading past posts I have a feeling you may have helped with this in a prior thread as well. Our VSP was installed in Decemeber-21 and had been working fine. Yesterday I noticed, when going to service mode on the controller I could not manually turn on the VSP, which had me scratching my head, but thought perhaps it's a timer issue. Hours later when the scheduled run time should have started, I noticed the error on the remote. I have some trouble shooting to do this morning, wish me luck!

Thanks again for your help on the heater, looks like I'll be checking wires today on that as well!

B
Just replying to myself so folks don't invest more of their time. I had a loose load wire on the Remote Display terminal block. Powered the unit down, waited 2 minutes, pulled the terminal block, tightened the loose load wire, waited the remainder of my 2 minute countdown, reverse steps and the pool is running! I guess my fat fingers must have loosened it when I took the picture last night of the heater terminal block.

B

B,

Just to be clear, when in the Auto mode the pump's display should say "Display not Active". This means the Automation is controlling the pump. When in the Service mode, the display should show RPM, or the standalone screen, so that you can control the pump from the pump's control panel.

If the display on the pump is blank in the Service mode it means the power to your pump is being routed through the Pump/Filter relay, which is incorrect. The IntelliFlo pump should get constant AC power.

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

Just to be clear, when in the Auto mode the pump's display should say "Display not Active". This means the Automation is controlling the pump. When in the Service mode, the display should show RPM, or the standalone screen, so that you can control the pump from the pump's control panel.

If the display on the pump is blank in the Service mode it means the power to your pump is being routed through the Pump/Filter relay, which is incorrect. The IntelliFlo pump should get constant AC power.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

Does the constant power to the pump remain true if it’s a Hayward VSP and not a Pentair?

Brad

Brad,

I am not sure about Hayward, for some reason I thought you had an IntelliFlo... :rolleyes:

Most VS pump that are connected to an automation system get constant AC power.

Sorry for any confusion,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.