Spa mode cavities pump

Feb 19, 2015
Cypress, TX
Anyone have any suggestions why when I put my equipment in spa mode it starts getting air? I could understand a leak but wouldn't I see water shooting out? Pool mode works fine, water flows into the hot tub and spills over fine, but as soon as you hit spa mode, air is introduced into the pump. It's all Pentair equipment. EasyTouch 8, Intelliflo pump, DFS 60 DE filter.

I assume your pump ramps up to a higher rpm when you go into spa mode. Your valves should switch so your suction is from the spa only and the return is to the spa only.

If all that is true, your suction side has a leak at the higher rpm. Not unusual. Typically it is the pump basket lid. It either needs tightening or the gasket may be dried out and need some pool lube or it needs replaced. For a test, place the system in spa mode and use a hose to run water over the pump basket lid. See if that reduces or eliminates the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

I assume your pump ramps up to a higher rpm when you go into spa mode. Your valves should switch so your suction is from the spa only and the return is to the spa only.

If all that is true, your suction side has a leak at the higher rpm. Not unusual. Typically it is the pump basket lid. It either needs tightening or the gasket may be dried out and need some pool lube or it needs replaced. For a test, place the system in spa mode and use a hose to run water over the pump basket lid. See if that reduces or eliminates the issue.

I have my pump ramped up to the higher RPM's for pool mode too but I tried your theory hoping I might have a quick fix. I pulled one of the lids off my other 2 pumps and put it on the Intelliflo. It does the same exact thing. I paid attention to the pump RPM's and it doesn't change at all when I switch modes on the EasyTouch to SPA. Air immediately starts coming into the pump, slightly at first, them more once the Jandy's are fully switched to SPA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.