Space Coast, Florida
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Moved from here.
I'm tagging along on this one, as I'm doing something similar! I had done a bunch of searching yesterday morning and couldn't find anything, was just getting ready to create a post and saw this!

I am designing a new set up, and also trying to figure out how and if to do a bypass for a multi-cyclone for a pool/spa single pump system.

Supposedly, the multi-cyclones help you go significantly longer between filter cleanings depending on your particle sizes, but especially for larger particles, like sand. Being in Florida and 650' from the ocean, sand will constantly be brought into my pool.

Also, if you buy certain CircuPool or Waterco equipment packages (like in my case) they throw one in for free. Might as well put it to good use.

Here is the head loss curve for the TJ-16 cyclonic pre-filter, from CircuPool's webiste:

1626969503702.png

Not bad at normal operating (pool mode, and even pool + heat mode) but for a single-pump pool/spa system, that's becoming a bit much in spa mode depending on what GPM you are pushing for your jets.

I'm going to have an AquaCal SQ150VS heat pump, and it recommends a 5lb bypass check valve if flow exceeds 70 GPM (which I will in spa mode). I was trying to think of options for bypassing the heater and/or filter and cyclone when in spa mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...my bad

@Jeff15 I think is only asking about a bypass for when adding DE. However, they may care about the use case I mentioned, as it appears they have an attached spa.

For a bypass when adding DE only, you could use a 3 way valve before the cyclone, with a check valve afterward. "Normal" operation would be 100% flow through the cyclone. When adding DE, turn the diverter to 100% flow through the bypass. The check valve may or may not be necessary, but a low head loss one like a Jandy 7305 wouldn't hurt much.

The other thing you could do is just put unions on the cyclone and replace it with a straight piece of pipe (also with unions) when you add DE. Super cheap and simple depending on how often you add DE.

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_161135945.jpg
    PXL_20210722_161135945.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.