Spa jet placement

L&D

Nov 10, 2020
Texas
What is the average space between spa jets? The plumbers put 6 jets in my 8ft interior diameter spa. The plan calls for 8 so they had to make some adjustments adding in some and splicing in others. They are now placed between 33 inches to 39 inches apart. Am I being to picky thinking they should have redone all of them to be equal distanceE5B7FEA1-6AAD-46FD-82D2-D942B86DAA3C.jpeg apart?

What is the average space between spa jets? The plumbers put 6 jets in my 8ft interior diameter spa. The plan calls for 8 so they had to make some adjustments adding in some and splicing in others. They are now placed between 33 inches to 39 inches apart. Am I being to picky thinking they should have redone all of them to be equal distance? I don’t want to be THAT person but it was admittedly there mistake. Maybe when the pool if filled and I can’t see the jets, my OCD will calm down. I am having a hard time looking at the uneven spaces. Note there is a step in the largest gap.74DBD7E5-1A30-490F-B758-11CA9348E6AA.jpeg

I’m no expert, but I learned a lot about spa jets and flow rates for my ongoing build as I’m incorporating different kinds of jets that require more flow (25gpm). It seems most spa jets need about 15gpm each so 90gpm total for 6 jets. For most pumps, 90gpm is doable and in line with the limits of a lot of the pool equipment. In my research most filters, heaters, SWCG have a max flow rate of 90-120gpm. You can check the flow diagrams/charts in the manual of your pump and it will provide the GPM based on pump speed (rpm) and the head loss (dependent on your equipment setup, elevation change, plumbing distance and angles, etc...)

8 jets on a single pump in line with all of your equipment would likely provide only about 10gpm per jet and not get much therapeutic pressure hence the comment above. A dedicated pump without all of the other obstacles would be able to deliver stronger flow. The issue is that you still need to be able to provide filtration, heat, and sanitation to the spa and don’t want another set of that equipment.

You can go with a dual pump configuration that uses shared equipment with a more complex plumbing and valve configuration at the equipment pad, or have 2 sets of returns for the spa. I opted for the later. I have a set of 6 returns tied into the standard pool/spa pump in line with all of the other equipment and a separate pump and suction for the JetArrays.

Regarding the spacing of the spa jets, I have the same OCD tendencies and it looks much worse in this stage with long pipes sticking out but you have to envision the finished product. With Gunite and the pipes cut back flush with the wall, the differences maybe less noticeable. Add in the water, plaster, coping overhang, waterline tile, etc... a 6” difference is going to be less obvious. For our spa, we have 2 jets close to each other with different bench depth, this is where my wife and I plan to sit next to each other and has the best view over the rest of the pool looking back at the house. The rest of the jets are spread out. I think having a mix might be good so people can choose jets close together for a couple or spread out for 2 bigger guys that want their own space.

We did something like what @Robtown described as well. We have some jets that we placed closer together and we also have some that my wife wanted a little lower because she is shorter. Our spa is 7ft diameter and has 6 jets. I think the number of jets is fine, but I am already planning to replace the jets because what the builder installed is basically the same exact fitting as the wall returns in the pool. I would make sure the builder tells you what you will be getting ahead of time.

I'm interested in responses as my PB warned again 8 jets with a single pump. He suggested 6 at a max and if I wanted 8 he'd recommend a second pump or he would ask me to sign a form acknowledging.
That was never discussed and I never thought that 8 would be an issue for the pump. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

We went to a friend's and he pointed out that 2 of his jets have basically no pressure coming out of them. He only has one pump and, I think, 8 jets. He said the plumber told him he should have had another pump. We decided to get another pump because of that.

I’m no expert, but I learned a lot about spa jets and flow rates for my ongoing build as I’m incorporating different kinds of jets that require more flow (25gpm). It seems most spa jets need about 15gpm each so 90gpm total for 6 jets. For most pumps, 90gpm is doable and in line with the limits of a lot of the pool equipment. In my research most filters, heaters, SWCG have a max flow rate of 90-120gpm. You can check the flow diagrams/charts in the manual of your pump and it will provide the GPM based on pump speed (rpm) and the head loss (dependent on your equipment setup, elevation change, plumbing distance and angles, etc...)

8 jets on a single pump in line with all of your equipment would likely provide only about 10gpm per jet and not get much therapeutic pressure hence the comment above. A dedicated pump without all of the other obstacles would be able to deliver stronger flow. The issue is that you still need to be able to provide filtration, heat, and sanitation to the spa and don’t want another set of that equipment.

You can go with a dual pump configuration that uses shared equipment with a more complex plumbing and valve configuration at the equipment pad, or have 2 sets of returns for the spa. I opted for the later. I have a set of 6 returns tied into the standard pool/spa pump in line with all of the other equipment and a separate pump and suction for the JetArrays.

Regarding the spacing of the spa jets, I have the same OCD tendencies and it looks much worse in this stage with long pipes sticking out but you have to envision the finished product. With Gunite and the pipes cut back flush with the wall, the differences maybe less noticeable. Add in the water, plaster, coping overhang, waterline tile, etc... a 6” difference is going to be less obvious. For our spa, we have 2 jets close to each other with different bench depth, this is where my wife and I plan to sit next to each other and has the best view over the rest of the pool looking back at the house. The rest of the jets are spread out. I think having a mix might be good so people can choose jets close together for a couple or spread out for 2 bigger guys that want their own space.
I will definitely ask about the appropriate pump size. Thank you. And you’re right, I thought about it and I definitely have some hearty people in my family and friend circle. Probably best to leave the jests where they are. I didn’t think about the depth until I read more comments. Again, hopefully the PB and subs know what they are doing and placed them appropriately. Thanks for your response.

We did something like what @Robtown described as well. We have some jets that we placed closer together and we also have some that my wife wanted a little lower because she is shorter. Our spa is 7ft diameter and has 6 jets. I think the number of jets is fine, but I am already planning to replace the jets because what the builder installed is basically the same exact fitting as the wall returns in the pool. I would make sure the builder tells you what you will be getting ahead of time.
Good point. I will look out for that. Definitely want actually jets and not just walk returns. Thank you for your response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no standard. Varied placement of spa jets can let people select where they want to sit and have the jets hit different parts of their body. Depending on how many people you have in the spa and if they want the jest to be on their back, arms or legs the variety may be a benefit.

Reactions: L&D
We went to a friend's and he pointed out that 2 of his jets have basically no pressure coming out of them. He only has one pump and, I think, 8 jets. He said the plumber told him he should have had another pump. We decided to get another pump because of that.
Thank you for your response. Do you know the size of your pool pump? We were told that 3HP pump will be enough for the pool and 8 spa jets. It’s a 23,000 gallon pool.

The PB just told us that the 23,000 gal pool with 6 returns and 8 jet spa will share a 3HP pump and that it will be enough. Does that sound legit? You seem to know what you’re talking about. I have no clue.

The PB just told us that the 23,000 gal pool with 6 returns and 8 jet spa will share a 3HP pump and that it will be enough. Does that sound legit? You seem to know what you’re talking about. I have no clue.

Depends how strong of a therapeutic flow you want out the spa jets.

I have a dedicated 2.6 HP spa jet pump for 8 spa jets. The dedicated spa jet pump does not run through the filter and heater which greatly restricts the flow rate.

Thank you for your response. Do you know the size of your pool pump? We were told that 3HP pump will be enough for the pool and 8 spa jets. It’s a 23,000 gallon pool.
I don’t. We’re still getting bids. Our pool consultant just ordered it but I have no clue what he got.

As mentioned above, it would depend on the amount of flow you need/want for each jet. Since you don’t know what the difference between 10gpm, 15gpm, or even 20gpm would feel like, I went the route to over engineering. You can dial back pressure with a VS pump, but not easily add more.

You need to get the model of the pump to pull up the manual and flow specifications. Here my 3hp IntelliFlo pump...

6AF9D551-E299-4208-A6BC-22773C216427.png

You then need to know your total dynamic head. I would ask you pool builder to work with their equipment rep to get this calculation based on your design and equipment. It will need to take into account the distance from the spa to the equipment along with the elevation change and turns/angles (Hopefully 45 degree). They also need to account for all of the equipment and it’s impact on flow along with flow maximums. If I recall, my filter was 150gpm, heater 120gpm, and SWCG was 105gpm.

Hence I opted for a dedicated pump and 3” plumbing as I’m looking to push up to 150GPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.