Spa: Hairline crack in a tricky spot - additive repair possible?

GreenLeaf

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jan 10, 2022
Melbourne AU
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've had an annoying "One drip per two seconds" drip going on for a while now, in a spot that was impossible to access without flipping the spa on its side. I managed to get the spa sideways today, take the floor off, and after a few hours chipping off foam and dabbing paper with a magnifying glass found the culprit - a hairline crack in a very tricky spot.

It's connected to a manifold, no leeway to cut and replace. As the spa is apparently 20+ years old, I'm hoping you guys are going to suggest that I can repair the crack in place with something rather than have to perform major surgery. I am comfortable joining pressure pipe with solvent and cement but really don't want to open pandoras box here.

A friend suggested fibreglass, I was also thinking perhaps PVC solvent and then layer upon layer of PVC cement. Are these valid strategies? Any suggestions or advice on whether an in-place, additive style repair might be ok to get me by?

Attachments

• tricky repair.jpg
    tricky repair.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 39
I have had great success with the following 2 products for issues just as you describe.
Hope you have similar products available down under. I have several friends living in Melbourne. We had a wonderful New Year’s back in 2017.
5620A5C6-8EF2-48F8-8072-80AD3E42CA7B.jpeg3002DE12-3051-4DB1-810C-FAC57CAF0F05.jpeg

Thanks very much Herman! I have found a local stockists of the JB Weld Plastic bonder (repco), and will use that.

Great to hear you had a nice time here in 2017! If you ever come back give me a buzz and I will have a cold beer waiting for you!

Just looping back here to say that the JB Weld plastic bonder worked very well. However it was a little thin when working upside down. Gravity was pulling it away from where I wanted it to stay. I found it hard to get a nice thick amount on using multiple layers before it ran out. I mixed the whole lot at once on my first try, which was stupid in retrospect once I realized I needed to do multiple coats to get a nice thickness.

I then went to buy some more to do more layers and they were out of stock, but had "JB Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy Putty Stick" and I found that perfect, allowed me to put as much as I needed where I needed it. Seemed to work great.

Then as I never wanted to deal with this again as it required the whole spa flipped, I tried to do a layer of fibreglass which was a disaster. It wouldn't stick to the PVC, there was glass bits sticking everywhere and to everything including my gloves, it wouldn't go on thick, I couldn't bend it where I wanted it, absolute mess. I wiped as much of that off as I could and abandoned the whole fibreglass idea. I mention this in case anyone else has the bright idea to try and use fibreglass - not fun at all.

Long story short - no more leaks using JB Weld plastic bonder / PlasticWeld epoxy putty.

Reactions: HermanTX
I see I'm too late to offer a suggestion but I would've recommended using Plast-aid instead. It would've given you a stronger bond than JB Weld could. JB Weld just gives you a mechanical bond but on plastics like ABS, PVC and Acrylic, Plast-aid actually gives you a chemical bond which is much stronger than a mechanical bond. I used it to fix a hairline crack at a high stress location on my tub's acrylic shell and it has held perfectly for a few years now. If the JB Weld fix eventually fails, use Plast-aid and it will be fixed permanently.

Waterproof Plastic Repair Kits Fixes cracked ABS PVC Acrylic Wood More

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.