Spa empties into pool. Which was should valve be?

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have a question on the valve next to the spa. Which way should this go? I'm confused by the plumbing here. Having an issue with the spa draining during the day back into the pool while the pump is off. I've replaced 3 check valves already; the fourth is coming (one on left of picture).

Also my pop up values for the spa stopped working just recently. Thinking that may be unrelated and need a new rebuild kit for caretaker.

Thanks!

44d7498b8d6bad9e261392e09c579d45.jpg
25b457149769a228c8b3e325b87f6c71.jpg
13dfd568a4ef6b3b493ddeeca8fd7b7b.jpg

Just looking, but it appears that you have the valves in the middle position. This enables the flow to/from both sources/destinations. In my experience (limited as that may be) you want your valves to be in one position or the other. The only exception I can think of is if you have a balancing valve between your skimmer and 'lawyer' (bottom sweep). In this case (only?) you use the valve in some intermediate position to balance the suction between the two.

Try to determine what each position of each valve actually does, write it down, maybe even use a sharpie to write on the PVC pipe. You probably have one valve that determines where the incoming water comes from, and one valve to determine where the water is returned to.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I believe you are right, both are open and it may be causing the spa to not kick up due to not enough pressure. My worry is there is a clog in the spa line and if I force all to the spa, something would have to give.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.