Spa emptied into pool this morning

jf2go

Aug 8, 2016
Laguna Niguel
Bought a home that included a pool - and realize that I know nothing about this equipment. I need to take some time here on the forum to try and learn how all of this works. I'm afraid to mess around with the equipment, thinking I might really screw something up.

In any case, my son and his girlfriend were using the pool and spa yesterday and all was fine. The pool starts it's daily maintenance cycle at 5am. I woke up this morning to find that all of the water in the spa had emptied into the pool. This is a in-ground pool and spa with spillover (waterfall) into the pool. This may have happened one time before, right after we moved into the house, and I think one of the Jandy actuators had to be replaced (possibly that again?). I posted pictures of my equipment if that is helpful. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Attachments

• NSF Multiport Valve.jpg
    NSF Multiport Valve.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 12
Where does your pool stand now? Is your pump running? What mode was your pool in for this pic?

I labeled your actuators and pipes below.

In the picture your vales are set to suction from A and return to 2.

You need to figure out which pipes go to the pool and which go to the spa.

There is a 3 position toggle switch on each actuator with settings of 1 - OFF - 2. Check that neither actuator is OFF. If it is in 1 switch it to 2. If 2 then switch to 1. See if the valve rotates when you move the switch. See what happens to the suction or return when you move the valve. Label your pipes once you figure out which side goe3s to the POOL and SPA.

Post pics of your actuators when the pool is in POOL mode and SPA mode.

Pool Equipment.jpg

Thank you so much for helping me with this. The picture I posted earlier was one I had while we were painting the house. I have attached current ones in Pool mode, Spa mode and Off. Right now, the Spa is completely empty, and the Pool water level is right to the top before cresting over. Observing what is happening when I switch from Pool to Spa mode - the top actuator moves, but the bottom does not. The both actuators are in the On1 position. When I switch the bottom actuator from On1 to On2 nothing happens. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you want me to try anything else..

Attachments

• Pool Mode.jpg
    Pool Mode.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Spa Mode.jpg
    Spa Mode.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Off.jpg
    Off.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 8
Your bottom actuator died on you. It probably needs to be replaced. Follow the wire from the actuator up into your ET system and into the flip down low voltage area. Turn off the power to the ET before you open it up.

See top of page 14 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...em_Load_Center_Installation_Guide_English.pdf for where the intake/suction and return actuators plug in.

Swap the intake and return plugs. Power the ET back up and see if the lower actuator is still dead.

After the test power the ET down and put the return plug back in the correct socket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.