Carrollton tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm guessing that one of the valves is not turning all the way, an alignment issue, that's causing this ?

ive attached some images of the plumbing

I'm considering just ordering new valves and actuators. Ive "repaired" one of the limit switches in one of the valves already

One question is do I need to replace the valve housing or can I just buy the guts and the actuator and leave the body of the valve ?

Another is that it looks like a check valve on the return side of the spa ... Is that required? Guessing I should replace the guts of that as well ?

thanks to this site I do all the maintenance myself so I dont mind spending a little cash and replacing tired parts

THanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_182256.jpg
    IMG_20200314_182256.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200314_193234 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20200314_193234 (Large).jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200314_19311911.jpg
    IMG_20200314_19311911.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200314_193115.jpg
    IMG_20200314_193115.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15
Doug,

Tell us more... the valves in your pics look ok if they are in the spa mode.

When does the spa drain down, and how far does it drain? Does it stop at the returns or does in go down, well below the returns?

Does the spa just drain down when the pump is off?? When in the pool mode, does the spa spillover into the pool?

The more you tell us the better your answers will be..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The one picture shows it goes past the returns ,.

When in pool mode the spa fountain refills the spa.

Today I've seen it low twice, it refilled then drained again.

Doug,

Does it drain down when the pump is running or when the pump is off.

oday I've seen it low twice, it refilled then drained again.

Are you saying that when the pump is running in the spa mode, that the spa level will drop below the returns and then fill back up without any changes from you?

When this happens, have you checked the positions of the automated Intake and Return valves?

Jim R.

Doug,

If this were my pool/spa, I would remove both actuators and run using just the manual valves for a couple of days and see of you still have the problem. If not, then most likely an actuator is bad or the automation is telling it to turn when it should not. (Unlikely).

Replacing the actuators would make sense, since you have already had problems with them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Great idea

I can turn off the automation and run in manual mode.

last year one of the limit switches was broken inside one of the actuators and replacing it was challenging because the case and innards were crispy from the sun and age. And stuff was cracking in the housing.

I haven't actually watched it yet. But I know that in pool mode, it refills due to the spa fountain that only runs in pool mode, and sends water from pool to spa to make the spillway work.

Last edited:
well I replaced both JVAs and the check valve, and the issue isn't gone but its better, I hope

Also realized that even though the pump pressure wasn't high the filter cartridges were so full they were blocking flow, and causing the heater to make noise and error with a high limit error.
The Jandy filter CL46o has a manifold that was cracked which may explain why the pressure wasnt reflecting correctly
more stuff to order

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_105550 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20200318_105550 (Large).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
late update - I had a 3rd leak check on the pool and this guy found all finds of issues with 12 of the returns in the pool and the light - Puryear pools did the previous leak check 2 year ago or so when they refurbed the paster and assured us that when they replastered and Aquabrighted it would resolve the issues.
Meeting my expectations they left 12 return fittings with gaps around them - including one of the suction ports - in the picture attached the circled port had palm roots growing in it ... also explains why palm 3 was soo much bigger than the other 2
I need to find pictures of the palms from before the reno to see if the palms were all the same size then, that would suggest that rather than fixing a leak they helped make it worse

Attachments

• palm difference.jpg
    palm difference.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.