Bp9906

Mar 7, 2023
Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
The cleaner valve was the problem, mas985, as you suggested. I've got an actuator issue - the cleaner valve stayed open when the system was put into spa mode, allowing part of the water from the spa suction to divert to the pool's cleaner port... Whew. All fixed now.

Thanks for staying with me on this one..!
Can you confirm you just closed the cleaner valve?

I have the same problem. Shared cleaner and curious if closing the valve still allows water flow or maybe it’s not an issue.

Can you confirm you just closed the cleaner valve?

I have the same problem. Shared cleaner and curious if closing the valve still allows water flow or maybe it’s not an issue.
Show a picture of the suction side plumbing and pump.

Here is the DRAIN (Suction) and OUTPUT photos. I think ultimately the issue is the one I labeled "Spa Center" because I see water coming up center of the spa when in pool mode. I think closing this valve solves the problem. I did also close the vaccuum valve too at the time so could be either.

Here is the DRAIN (Suction) and OUTPUT photos. I think ultimately the issue is the one I labeled "Spa Center" because I see water coming up center of the spa when in pool mode. I think closing this valve solves the problem. I did also close the vaccuum valve too at the time so could be either.
You have a pressure Side cleaner. The down pipe goes to the pool returns and the Tee junction feeds the booster pump which drives your pool cleaner. I would never turn that blue handle closed.

The center spa pipe refreshes your spa and allows it to spillover to the pool. that blue handle valve can control if you want that feature on or off when in pool mode.

Your cleaner is fighting for volume when the 3 bubblers and fountain are on and the center spa is open. Closing any those will put more water through the pool returns and the cleaner.

Reactions: Bp9906
Makes sense. Thanks. So when the pool automation goes into freeze mode where it flip/flops between pool only and spa only every 30 minutes, I was seeing that when in Spa mode, the spa will drain back into the pool.

I was thinking that the spa would drain from the spa center feeding during freeze mode. While we havent had a freeze recently, I reproduced the issue even with the spa center feed closed. I believe its the spa drain Jandy valve. When it goes to Spa suction mode then goes back to pool mode, the spa suction never goes closes all the way. I can pull the handle ever so slightly and it moves a tiny bit, then my issue stops.
DRAIN2.jpeg
Either the Jandy valve is bad or the automated controller isnt closing it enough. Any suggestions here?

Makes sense. Thanks. So when the pool automation goes into freeze mode where it flip/flops between pool only and spa only every 30 minutes, I was seeing that when in Spa mode, the spa will drain back into the pool.

I was thinking that the spa would drain from the spa center feeding during freeze mode. While we havent had a freeze recently, I reproduced the issue even with the spa center feed closed. I believe its the spa drain Jandy valve. When it goes to Spa suction mode then goes back to pool mode, the spa suction never goes closes all the way. I can pull the handle ever so slightly and it moves a tiny bit, then my issue stops.
View attachment 553391
Either the Jandy valve is bad or the automated controller isnt closing it enough. Any suggestions here?
It could be the gearing on the actuator is worn and not making a full return to the starting position.
A check valve on the spa suction would help prevent that.

Reactions: Bp9906
Thank you both for feedback there. Sounds like a check valve would be an easy solution, though require some plumbing work.

@wireform Do you happen know if this particular Jandy would let me take the cover off and adjust the end switch?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.