Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi,

So when my pump is off over night the spa level drops 3 or 4 inches, it used to be under an inch but it’s got worse all of a sudden.

I’ve checked the check valve at the very top, and the Jandy valve below it, both seals seem to be in good condition, what else should I check?

16511f4ca3ed18d99e625d1967b7588e.jpg

Only a few options:
1. The check valve is leaking
2 & 3. Either the suction or return 3-way is leaking
4. Part of the plumbing between equipment and spa is leaking
5. The spa structure itself is leaking.

If the spa water drop stops at the pool water level, then 4 and 5 are less likely.

Thanks guys, I’ll shut the manual diverted valve so that the spa does not get any water when in pool mode (it’s s fake spillover effect) and leave it a few days see if it drops below the jets.

jb,

The "Fake Spillover" allows your Spa to stay chlorinated.. Without the spillover, your spa will never get any fresh water.

The problem with the constant spillover it will make you pH increase...

Since you have automation, you do not need the "Fake Spillover"... I suggest that you schedule your automation to run the "real" spillover twice a day for about half an hour at a time. This will keep your spa water fresh and chlorinated so you can just keep the "Fake Spillover" off all the time...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I can’t work out how to get the valves set with the automation to do that, it’s either pool mode or spa mode, silly Jandy automation app, I hate it!!

Your Jandy RS8 should have a real spillover option, but requires someone to make some adjustments on the control board. You can look up the Aux3 and dip switch positions if you are going to diy or ask more questions here.

Then you can schedule spillover cycles that will run automatically.

Yay, that worked, now have the spillover option, had to move what was on aux 3 as it turns that on automatically when in spillover mode, good job I have a spare... So thats set to come on on a schedule, and the manual diverter is fully closed, so now the top section of the pipes should not be used at all, have to wait and see what happens to the level in the spa now

Thanks again guys!!

Well the spa level is still dropping, looks like it is falling to just below the tile level, so above the highest jet, I’ll leave it another 24 h to see if it drops any further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Left it another 24h and it dropped well below the tile level, did not let it get below the first jet as there are a whole bunch of jets the lowest being only 1/2 foot off the bottom.

Checked the drain and can feel suction when in pool mode, so took the pool/spa T apart, seal looks ok, but found a little dirt in there, cleaned it all out, refilled and checked for suction in pool mode, seems much better now.

However, level still drops overnight (with no pump running) the spa is raised above the pool so it must be gravity and either a leak in a pipe or back check valve, but I already checked the latter, maybe I’ll just replace it anyway, as a leaking pipe is going to be a real pain.

jb,

If you have the valve to the left and down from the check valve set with the handle pointing down, then both check valve and that valve would have to be bad to cause a leak..

I suspect the Intake valve is leaking... The first thing I would do is rebuild the Intake valve. Would also want to make sure the valve is being turned all the way by the automation actuator..

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjNt_77ybXcAhUKqGkKHVL8AzsYABAKGgJpcQ&sig=AOD64_1JZOorIwEIAoyV7PdLn3iN5tDpnA&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjrrPn7ybXcAhVh1oMKHWDrCsQQ9aACegQIARAw&adurl=

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I check the actuator is turning it fully, it is, so I’ll rebuild it, actually I’m planning on rebuilding the whole pad at the end of the season, so I’ll just replace all the values then.

One further question, now I have the spillover mode working, when I rebuild the pad would it be worth putting in the top loop for the “fake” spillover? Is there any reason to keep it?

Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.