Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi all,
Dig day was last week and the spa is dug to a depth of 4' with an expected water depth of 36". I've been at a hotel spa recently that had a 4' depth (per label, guess the water depth was 42" and that depth seemed quite right. Would love to hear from spa owners regarding this issue. Is it a big deal to have the PB dig it out more? Many thanks!

36" of total water depth in a spa is fairly common and a seat depth of 18 inches. Some have had staggered seat depths to accommodate tall and short people i.e.. for those under 6ft and those over 6ft. The idea is that you want water level to hit about chest high when sitting in spa. Then you legs can touch the floor as well.
Obviously you can have a deeper center part of the spa and best to think what is comfortable when you are sitting in the spa or how you will use the spa.
One advantage for a shallow spa is that young children can play in it. Our spa is only 36in deep but the young kids under 5 love it that they can stand in it vs. the pool which starts at 3.5ft and quickly goes to 4ft.

Reactions: miltonmom
36" of total water depth in a spa is fairly common and a seat depth of 18 inches. Some have had staggered seat depths to accommodate tall and short people i.e.. for those under 6ft and those over 6ft. The idea is that you want water level to hit about chest high when sitting in spa. Then you legs can touch the floor as well.
Obviously you can have a deeper center part of the spa and best to think what is comfortable when you are sitting in the spa or how you will use the spa.
One advantage for a shallow spa is that young children can play in it. Our spa is only 36in deep but the young kids under 5 love it that they can stand in it vs. the pool which starts at 3.5ft and quickly goes to 4ft.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! It makes me feel better about the 3' depth.

Reactions: HermanTX
Hi all,
We've decided to go with a 3'6" spa water depth and now need help on ledge/step needs. We chose a raised spa because we were told that it would make it easier entry - sit down and hop in, but.....we're on the older side(64) and now we are thinking we should add one if not 2 small(12") corner steps. I guess we're more concerned with the getting out than getting in. I"m really confused and we need to tell our PB asap. I really appreciate any and all suggestions.

Hi all,
We've decided to go with a 3'6" spa water depth and now need help on ledge/step needs. We chose a raised spa because we were told that it would make it easier entry - sit down and hop in, but.....we're on the older side(64) and now we are thinking we should add one if not 2 small(12") corner steps. I guess we're more concerned with the getting out than getting in. I"m really confused and we need to tell our PB asap. I really appreciate any and all suggestions.
I wish we had added a small step. We are 60 and 67, and it's not getting easier as we get older. We did add a rail that has helped

My spa is level with the pool but we do have a small step at 6 inches water depth. Then next step is to the spa seat at 18 inches. So that is a 12 inch step. It is very helpful to exit the pool and highly recommend it.
We are considering a rail in the not so distant future on bothe the spa and pool.

My spa is level with the pool but we do have a small step at 6 inches water depth. Then next step is to the spa seat at 18 inches. So that is a 12 inch step. It is very helpful to exit the pool and highly recommend it.
We are considering a rail in the not so distant future on bothe the spa and pool.
Hi! - Thanks for input, very helpful. Is your spa water depth 36"?

Hi all,
Mine is being gunited right now, it is raised, 18“, will have split level seating and a small step to get out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.