Spa Cracking Extensively

lodi

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
Atlanta
Hello TFP Community! I desperately need some advice and I apologize in advance for the long post.

I have a seven year old in-ground salt water pool with above ground spa w/spillover, 3 separate waterfalls, and a vanishing edge. I estimate the pool to be approximately 40K gallons, so its large. The pool has alway consumed a lot of water. The vanishing edge tank has constantly had a very low water level and the autofill runs extensively and does not sufficiently refill the tank. After some initial troubleshooting back in 2016, it was explained to me that the water loss was a result of evaporation. No leaks were identified. I will note that they were only troubleshooting the waterfalls/vanishing edge. They did not do a leak test on the entire system. This was our first pool and I was quite busy with work at the time, so I accepted the explanation and moved on. In addition, our maintenance company, who we used for the first five years and was recommended by the builder, never raised any concerns. I still though it was odd that the water level in the vanishing edge tank would get so low and I would contact the builder once or twice/year regarding the issue but nothing ever got done. I have a long list of texts and emails related to this.

Fast forward to spring 2022 when I decided to start using another maintenance company. Very quickly after taking over, the new company suspected a leak. They were going through too many chemicals and could not keep them balanced week to week. They suggested that I get a leak test which I did. The whole system was tested and it revealed cracks in my spa and a few cold joint leaks in various spots. The tester was not sure the extent of the cracks of how long they had been there. Obviously, I think something has been wrong since the very beginning. After the leak test was completed I left the system in service mode one evening and noticed that the spa water level dropped quite a bit overnight, so I left it off the next afternoon as well. I discovered that the spa would empty itself in about 36 hours with no pumps running. Conversely, the pool and vanishing edge tank held their water levels nicely. I replaced the one-way flapper valve on the spa line to make sure that it was not the issue (it wasn’t). I calculated that I was going through about 1,200 gallons of water/day. Armed with this information, and prior texts/emails, I reached out to my builder and asked for their help. Of course it took forever, but they sent their leak guy out yesterday (which I paid for). His assessment was that my spa is falling apart. He said it looks like the bottom is falling out of it and that the cracks are both extensive and very unusual. I suspect the spa has been leaking for quite a while and has continuously eroded the soil below, exasperating the issue. The technician used epoxy to fill the cracks in an effort to slow down the leaks, but said the spa is going to need major structural repairs.

Here’s where I need some advice and why I provided such a long description (sorry!). Should a seven year old spa need major structural repairs? I would think not but I have no experience here. Even though the pool is out of warranty, should the builder be responsible for all or part of this repair given the unusual circumstances? I suspect this is going to be expensive and both companies that evaluated the situation thought it was very unusual. My pool builder is very large so hopefully we can come to a reasonable solution, but honestly I’m expecting pushback. I would like to know what you think. Do I need to suck it up and get someone to repair this on my own or should I push on my builder to repair it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The gunnite and rebar in my pool is warranted for the lifetime of the pool. Check your original contract docs to determine the warranty length you have.

Do you have documentation of where they initially attempted to find a leak? Did you inform the PB the first go round? This will all help the warranty claim.

I would like to understand more the details in how the spa is falling apart and the bottom is falling out of it. That should be gunite and rebar and builders typically warranty the shell for 20+ years to lifetime (whoever that maybe).

I would also like to understand what the proposed fixes are and what the root cause of the cracking is. There are concrete staples that are used to fix cracks in gunite. But if the spa floor is falling out it may take more then concrete staples.

From what you said your builder should step up to fix it under his gunite shell warranty.

But I would be talking with other builders in your area and see if you have anyone who will take on the project if you cannot come to an agreement with your builder.

The spa is a small structure and your worst case is you demo it and rebuild the spa. Although I would be concerned that once you see what the real problem is in the spa it may ripple into the pool structure. You will only know once you begin unpeeling the onion.

@ajw22 Thanks for your reply. What we are looking at is extensive cracking along the top of the seat, the front wall of the seat and across the floor in the spa. When the tech said the “bottom is falling out” I think he was referring to the fact that the lower half of the spa is extensively cracked. He said the pattern and extent of the cracks is what surprises him. We have not yet discussed fix. The tech mentioned piers and he also mentioned the staples. We are on Georgia clay so the ground can get sloppy. If this has been leaking for a while, as I suspect, I assume there is some erosion under the spa, so something may need to be done to shore up the ground to rebuild on. Construction-wise, there is rebar and the shell is gunite with pebble-tech on top. Aside from some leaky coping on the vanishing edge wall and a small crack in the pebble-tec that is not structural, the pool and vanishing edge tank are in good shape.

I need to dig out my contract to see what my warranty is on the shell. I will upload some pictures when I can get to my laptop. You will be able to see all of the spots where the tech patched the larger cracks. There are some that are hairlines in the pebble tech that were not patched.

Thank you very much for your reply.

This pool needed piers and extensive repairs to fix cracking...

Yes, concrete staples is a common repair technique for cracks in gunite and concrete...

Torque Lock

Concrete Crack Repair Staples for Swimming Pools and Pool Decks | AquaStitch

I can’t imagine that I need piers, but I might need some reinforcement under the floor to keep if from moving in the future. The staples are pretty neat. I just wonder if new cracks will appear in new spots. I’m going to reach out to the builder as soon as I get a report from the repair guy. Thanks again. I will update this thread when I get some answers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.