Spa chemical trouble..(that's a understatement)

JVitto

Jul 15, 2017
Ocala,fl
So I have a 15,550 gallon pool with a salt water system on it, Never have had a problem with the chemicals. But now I had to run off n get a 375 gallon hot tub. It has frog system built in with bromine n the other thing. After filling I used Frog jump start packet. Well the first water I only kept in the tub for 3 weeks cause it got so nasty, but I could see how we used it a lot with a pool party one day that it got USED. But now it's been refilled for 4 days, new packet of frog jump start in it, lil passive canisters that the water filters through our set at five n we have cloudy ,smelly water!!??!!?? I tested it with a strip but all I had to do was add some ph down it said... I bought a spa chemical kit with all kinds of stuff, but I don't know. My pool hasn't had any issues ( not my tongue but I don't like ) but it has a saltwater system what do you guys think about the solar systems on spas. I'm not sure it just seems like the chemicals are reading OK by the water in the spot is not OK . Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a better way-

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Also, new hot tubs need to be decontaminated as they are wet tested in production, and the residual water left in the pipes develops biofilm that can cause problems. Has anyone experienced "Hot Tub Rash"??
Ahh-Some is a product that removes the biofilm, then you raise the FC up really high for a brief period before draining and refilling. You can find information about Ahh-some on Youtube.

I'd ditch the Frog/bromine and either go bleach or a SWG for spas. I wouldn't want folks to travel back and forth between my chlorine pool and spa if the spa had bromine in it. Bromine in pools (in larger quantities) turns the pool into a bromine pool *forever* unless drained/refilled and I don't know if it could build up over time and cause problems to me. Sort of like keeping creek/lake soaked suits out of the pool lest they transmit algae to the pool. I'm cautious that way.

Maddie :flower:

jv,

I just bought a Spa a couple of weeks ago, so I have almost zero Spa experience, so you might take what I say with a grain of salt... :p

I bought a used Spa that the previous owner had set up with Bromine... When I got it home, I cleaned it (twice) using "Ah-Some" which worked pretty well. I replaced the filter and added CYA (in a sock) and liquid chlorine.

It initially took more chlorine than I expected due to the residual Ah-some, but that soon when away. Once I got the FC level up and the other levels balanced, I added a Spa SWCG. Less than $200 bucks and you just hang the cell in the Spa when the Spa is not in use.. I have been impressed so far.. We have used the Spa almost everyday, and the FC levels have been pretty stable... Too early to tell anything for sure, but we will see..

As a side note.. I went to a High School graduation and we stayed in a hotel with a communal Spa. It took a week for the chlorine smell to go away.. :p I notice that with my Spa there is no chlorine smell!!! Just like my pool!!!

I too vote to dump the Bromine...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you very much Maddie n Jim, I'm ditching the bromine than. I'm gonna drain it again today and clean it up real good again. Then start over with chlorine. I'll keep ya posted to where in at. Thank you again!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.