Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Getting Bids on new spa addition as well as resurfacing pool, new water line tile, coping (poured in place), etc. The question I'm having is this...
I really would like the spa (pool level) to be next to the steps (where bench is in Pool2 pic) - which would be easier in my mind since concrete pavers are getting torn out anyway and I'd keep my turf for entertaining events.
Is there a reason why the spa has to be separate? (as seen in the new drawings). Permits and codes aren't an issue there either.

Will spa build affect the pool structure at all and disturb/cause future issues if I put it next to steps? I hear people do this all the time with zero issues. Any ideas or suggestions? Pool Before.jpegPool Before_2.jpegRoth Residence_pool_002.jpgRoth Residence_pool_001.jpg

The main issue I see would be the current location of your plumbing and electrical conduit for your existing pool. How close you can get the spa to the pool can be a challenge if they dig 18-24 inches down and hit piping. Do you have the plumbing diagram for your existing pool? If not, you may need to do some digging just to see what is piping may be close to the area where you want the spa. Obviously, existing piping can be cut and rerun but you need to know what is where.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Thank you. I've had a few companies come out to bid. Two of which built the pool in 2006 (separate companies today). I like them both, actually and can see why they are still in business out here. Anyway, this particular design is by the original builder and he does have the plumbing schematics (he has not shared those with me and previous owner or home did not leave anything either, ugh). New design came through yesterday afternoon (see attached, hopefully). In this design, the steps would need to be redone and moved back to make even with 7' spa addition. I'm debating on whether its all worth one spa to mess with decking, steps, coping, existing turf, etc. Lots of $$ out here in LA LA Land.

Attachments

• Pool_3.jpg
    Pool_3.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 15
Mike,

Have you ever been in a gunite spa??? If not, I suggest that you try one before you buy one.. They are not for everyone. If you have used one, and liked it, then press on... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. I've had a few companies come out to bid. Two of which built the pool in 2006 (separate companies today). I like them both, actually and can see why they are still in business out here. Anyway, this particular design is by the original builder and he does have the plumbing schematics (he has not shared those with me and previous owner or home did not leave anything either, ugh). New design came through yesterday afternoon (see attached, hopefully). In this design, the steps would need to be redone and moved back to make even with 7' spa addition. I'm debating on whether its all worth one spa to mess with decking, steps, coping, existing turf, etc. Lots of $$ out here in LA LA Land.
I can think of no reason other than aesthetics that the steps need to be made to be as deep as the spa addition... the spa could easily just extend further than the step entrance. That is a design choice item. And as you mention it makes the addition more expensive as well. I much prefer the look of the spa being next to the pool plus it makes talking with people in the pool and spa much more natural than if there is another 10 feet in between them...

Get what you want in the end - spa and pools are expensive and you don't want to be wishing you did something different after the concrete is poured.

Joe

Mike,

Have you ever been in a gunite spa??? If not, I suggest that you try one before you buy one.. They are not for everyone. If you have used one, and liked it, then press on... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah, I built a pool and spa in TX a couple years ago. I don't mind them, actually.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I can think of no reason other than aesthetics that the steps need to be made to be as deep as the spa addition... the spa could easily just extend further than the step entrance. That is a design choice item. And as you mention it makes the addition more expensive as well. I much prefer the look of the spa being next to the pool plus it makes talking with people in the pool and spa much more natural than if there is another 10 feet in between them...

Get what you want in the end - spa and pools are expensive and you don't want to be wishing you did something different after the concrete is poured.

Joe

Attachments

• Spa_1.jpg
    Spa_1.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: nicolispicoli
I personally like the one where it is even with the steps... but that probably cost a little bit more. Since this costs so much - get the one you really want...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting Bids on new spa addition as well as resurfacing pool, new water line tile, coping (poured in place), etc. The question I'm having is this...
I really would like the spa (pool level) to be next to the steps (where bench is in Pool2 pic) - which would be easier in my mind since concrete pavers are getting torn out anyway and I'd keep my turf for entertaining events.
Is there a reason why the spa has to be separate? (as seen in the new drawings). Permits and codes aren't an issue there either.

Will spa build affect the pool structure at all and disturb/cause future issues if I put it next to steps? I hear people do this all the time with zero issues. Any ideas or suggestions? View attachment 345223View attachment 345222View attachment 345224View attachment 345225

Hi- Is your spa design vinyl? My designer recommended a vinyl spa for us so that we can be picky about the size that we want in our backyard and not be limited by set fiberglass spa sizes. Our spa will be located right beside the 8ft stairs and 2 sides of the 4 touch water. The designer recommended that it be lined with the same vinyl as a swimming pool - so 2/4 sides of the spa would be wrapped in vinyl. Is this what your builder was recommending also?

It’s hard to see from some of your drawings if it would be vinyl wrapped or if you have a tile or some other type of decoration. I’d love to know as I’m trying to find pictures and others who have a vinyl spa option.

thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.